Info needed regarding Brunswick "Hampton"

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Info needed regarding Brunswick "Hampton"

Post by barnettrp21122 »

Hello! I wonder if the Brunswick experts could help with a question:
There's a Hampton model, serial #200975 being sold at auction near me. It looks like a sort of Orthophonic design by the photo, and I'd like any information and opinions regarding sound, etc. Thanks!
Bob Barnett
Attachments
hampton.jpg
hampton.jpg (43.22 KiB) Viewed 3018 times
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Info needed regarding Brunswick "Hampton"

Post by gramophoneshane »

I've got a Brunswick Madrid, which uses the same ortho style soundbox, and I think it's my second best sounding machine. Especially when playing Brunswick electric records. IMO, the sound box is every bit as good as a Victor/HMV box, but their downfall is the horn, which was the same as they'd used from the start of production. They are a very good quality machine, & I'd imagine sound just as good as the smaller uprights & consoles Victor produced using the ortho soundbox.

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Shane,

Do you have any videos of your Brunswick Madrid? I tried YouTube’s search feature, but it doesn’t find anything for ‘Brunswick Madrid’, ’Brunswick’ or ’Madrid’. You have way too many videos for me to try to go through and find it manually. :D

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

No I don't actually. The Brunswick lives in my bedroom, about 12" away from the side of the bed, so I can't really get to it, let alone film it :(

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

barnettrp21122 wrote:Hello! I wonder if the Brunswick experts could help with a question:
There's a Hampton model, serial #200975 being sold at auction near me. It looks like a sort of Orthophonic design by the photo, and I'd like any information and opinions regarding sound, etc. Thanks!
Bob Barnett
Interesting. The cabinet looks almost identical to my Brunswick BR-260... This BR-260 is an Ultona and radio unit (although the radio is missing from mine). The only difference I can see is the bottom holding the legs together, which yours is better because this is a *very* top heavy machine. Maybe Brunswick turned this cabinet design into one of their "orthophonics"? Do we know what this looks like with the doors open?

I actually sold this unit last year at the Wayne MME. It makes me a little sad now, even as a standard non-ortho unit, it sounded AMAZING. (and Ultona is super-cool) ...but it was gargantuan in size and with the radio missing it was not practical space-wise.

Here's my video of this unit on YouTube tho:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4Ppx26_QNU

Kirkwood
Victor II

Post by Kirkwood »

I've been away for what seems like ages, so I have lotsa catching up to do. I actually have a Hampton that I got about a year ago. Mine suffered horrible indignities, including a bad refinish job, so I was delighted to see the pic you posted on here. Now I have a clue how dark (and which spots aren't) the finish should be. Eventually I got my Hampton playing again, and I have to second gramophoneshane's opinion----it's my second best sounding phono, behind the Credenza. Actually, for some records, I prefer the sound. What it may lack in bass response "oomph" it makes up for it in just being refreshing to listen to. Dance orchestra recordings, where there is a vocal refrain, will somehow put that vocalist front and center; I guess it has to do with a peaky frequency response, but I like it.

In the case of my Hampton, yes indeed----the cabinet is a re-worked phono-Radiola cabinet. The back has the cut-outs to access the battery compartment and the speaker driver of the earlier instrument. You can see (with VERY bright light) inside the case where the shelves for the batteries were removed and the whole insides over-sprayed with a dark-dark finish to mask the alterations. It's not like anyone ever went in there to see it, of course, but its a clue on how Brunswick would use up old stock (why ditch a perfectly good walnut case, after all). I'll have to re-fashion the back compartment doors on mine, they are missing, but that's just wood work 101.

What the photos don't show is what a doggone impressive machine this really is. Unlike some of the Victor products, the Hampton large without being ponderous. Brunswick really did a fine job with the design and construction of this model----mine has been thru hell and back, and it's still sturdy and playing great. Yes, that bracing between the legs sure helps the stability too.

If I can find it, I have a brochure for this model. It shows the insides with the doors open, the grille (missing on mine) is a nice open design, and looks like many of the other Brunswick grilles of this era. If I had the chance to buy this one posted on here, I'd really make the effort, but we can't see what the insides of this particular one look like, so maybe I should temper that just a bit.

Kirkwood
Victor II

Post by Kirkwood »

Well, I found the Hampton brochure, and have scanned them in. Now lets see if they even show up. I may need to adjust the file sizes.
Attachments
This is the one side of the Hampton brochure.  It's little more than a sheet of paper folded in half, but this was all I have found to date that shows the Hapmton.
This is the one side of the Hampton brochure. It's little more than a sheet of paper folded in half, but this was all I have found to date that shows the Hapmton.
BrunswickHamptonBrochure001.jpg (51.73 KiB) Viewed 2894 times
This is the other side of the same brochure.
This is the other side of the same brochure.
BrunswickHamptonBrochure002.jpg (51.74 KiB) Viewed 2894 times

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

In the brochure the horn is in the center of the machine, but the actual tonearm is in the center of the right side? Wouldn't it be better to be in the left corner?

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Post by barnettrp21122 »

I won this machine at auction by proxy bid, and haven't picked it up yet. I looked at it in person on Friday prior to Easter, and from what I remember the tonearm base is off to the left and not centered on the motorboard.
Thanks, Kirkwood, for posting the brochures. You going to the Wayne show? I'd look for you if you do. Thanks again.
Bob Barnett
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

This is the same machine I had that was done in a very dramatic oil painted finish with florals on the doors. It was very cool looking. It never had a radio but like so many of this era could have been purchased with one if you desired. It ended up by accident at a friends and I keep intending to get some photos of it if I ever get back where he lives. I don't know if the finish that was on it was from the factory or latter added, if it was it was a darn good job.. Originally it resided in the lobby of a Kansas City Hotel. I purchased it from a dealer in Kansas city in 1962 who had bought it at a sale of the hotels discards. It had a electric motor which was one feature I didn't particularly like. Mine was with the machine to the right side of the cabinet, not a center door.

First time I looked at the question the photo didn't come up of the machine in question. Yes the machine I had was an acoustic Ultona where as this is a Panatrope most likely. I would love to hear one.