England table top anyone have information this?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Dave Beck
Victor Jr

England table top anyone have information this?

Post by Dave Beck »

Just picked up this little table top model. I have not seen or heard of this model or make before. Any information welcome.
Dave
Attachments
england horn outside.JPG
england horn inside.JPG
england emblem.JPG
england 1.JPG
Last edited by Dave Beck on Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

De Soto Frank
Victor V

Re: England taptop anyone have information this?

Post by De Soto Frank »

The fluted reflector reminds me of a Nirona... perhaps the reproducer/reflector assembly was transplanted to an earlier phonograph base?

:monkey:
De Soto Frank

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Yes, the arm assembly does look like a Nifty Nirona. The base looks like a Columbia AH or BI. The decal looks like a new one applied to the case. I see a frankenphone. I hope you didn't pay too much for it.
Harvey Kravitz
De Soto Frank wrote:The fluted reflector reminds me of a Nirona... perhaps the reproducer/reflector assembly was transplanted to an earlier phonograph base?

:monkey:

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

The base looks very similar to that of a Columbia BI…

Bill

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

I am not certain but looks like a Frankenphone. Again I am not sure. That bell horn does not look right. I believe I saw something like that before that my great grandmother had but not quite sure.

Dave Beck
Victor Jr

Re: England table top anyone have information this?

Post by Dave Beck »

Thanks guys you confirmed my thoughts also as a frankenphone. Would it help with a picture of the motor assembly? I haven't taken it apart yet, it plays, but plan on lubing the motor etc. When I do I will post a picture of the motor.

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

I think it is dead right ! it is a Nirona , the horn cover is missing and the bracket that is holding it in place is the very rare example which is sometimes on "table models" ) I have only seen a couple in 35 years ) although the basic bracket is also on some , this rare bracket can be seen on the table top picture and you can just make out it is identical , and why would someone destroy a rare Nirona to make a fake ? Yes it does look like some Columbia bases but there would be easy to see witness marks to the changes , I also think the transfer is OK Nirona S... Co ?

I think this is a great find !

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

I'm with Soundgen on this one: I don't think it's fake or a frankenphone at all! It is a Columbia BI base or an identical pattern at least but wasn't unused old stock sold off from time to time? The transfer doesn't look new to me. The reflector is the Nirona 888 type. Another thought here is that Columbia actually made copies of the bases of Nirona tin-plate machines for some of their horn models. Was there a link here? It's the complete reverse but too weird to be wrong or cobbled together. Who would dream this up? Also, the reflector has a wood grain effect paint that curiously matches the varnished oak cabinet somewhat perfectly. It is certainly very rare!

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

Steve wrote:I'm with Soundgen on this one: I don't think it's fake or a frankenphone at all! It is a Columbia BI base or an identical pattern at least but wasn't unused old stock sold off from time to time? The transfer doesn't look new to me. The reflector is the Nirona 888 type. Another thought here is that Columbia actually made copies of the bases of Nirona tin-plate machines for some of their horn models. Was there a link here? It's the complete reverse but too weird to be wrong or cobbled together. Who would dream this up? Also, the reflector has a wood grain effect paint that curiously matches the varnished oak cabinet somewhat perfectly. It is certainly very rare!
Right on ! Let's see some pictures of the base all round and inside and the motor !

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

I agree that the machine appears to be genuine.

Although the Nirona reflector is generally associated with small tinplate toy machines it was, according to the Christopher Proudfoot book "Collecting Phonographs and Gramophones", also used on larger machines by other manufacturers including Sterno and British Polyphon/Dulcetto.

There was a table model almost identical to the one pictured by Soundgen in the former EMI Collection, bearing the German Patent Numbers 299390 and 300262.

I do however share the misgivings about the transfer/decal. Not only has it been carelessly applied (it is not central) but would a European machine with the model name "England" have been branded as a phonograph rather than as a gramophone? I think not.