Featured Phonograph No 95

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Featured Phonograph No 95

Post by phonogfp »

phonohound wrote:Your Brunswick is a beautiful machine. I can only imagine how amazing these machines looked when new. I am intrigued by the beauty, ingenuity, and gimmickry of the "off-brand" manufacturers. They came out with such wonderful cabinetry and conveniences that I'm surprised they didn't fare better than they did. The European phonographs & gramophones were able to make a cheap and inexpensive model look much more expensive than they really were.
I don't want to re-kindle the "what defines an 'off-brand'" controversy, but in 1921 Brunswick overtook Edison in sales, becoming the third largest phonograph producer in the U.S. This brand, at least, fared pretty well! :)

George P.

De Soto Frank
Victor V

Re: Featured Phonograph No 95

Post by De Soto Frank »

phonohound wrote:Your Brunswick is a beautiful machine. I can only imagine how amazing these machines looked when new. I am intrigued by the beauty, ingenuity, and gimmickry of the "off-brand" manufacturers. They came out with such wonderful cabinetry and conveniences that I'm surprised they didn't fare better than they did. The European phonographs & gramophones were able to make a cheap and inexpensive model look much more expensive than they really were.
I would say that anything that is in this link that is NOT Victor-Edison-Columbia-Brunswick ( and maybe Sonora ) would fit the qualification as "off-brand". ;)

http://www.mulhollandpress.com/phonographbrands.htm

:coffee:
De Soto Frank