reproducers

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Henry
Victor V

Re: reproducers

Post by Henry »

Thank you, George, for your gracious response. I certainly did not intend any personal slight, and my remarks were prompted only by what I saw and read in the article.

As for the sound box, perhaps before-and-after photos would help the beginner understand the importance of restoring one in that condition. I'm sure the Exhibition pictured would look and sound great after a rebuild. A couple of other statements in the article differ from my experience. For example, the two-spring motor on my VV-XIG is fully wound from dead slack after 32 revolutions of the winding key, not the "60, 90, or over 100 revolutions" the article states for a "2,3, or 4" spring motor. Another point: the XI owner's manual specifies the Exhibition's needle-to-record angle as 60º. Perhaps "approximately a 45-degree angle" is not close enough for every application.

General statements do not apply to every situation (he says pompously while stating a generality). This is not to nitpick about details, but rather to stress the importance of specific information as it applies in particular cases, especially for those who are just getting into the hobby, which I gather is the intended audience for the article.

Wolfe
Victor V

Re: reproducers

Post by Wolfe »

Good article!

I like having a clear, concise explanation of what reproducer type goes with what cylinder. As I get confused by that time and again.