reproducers

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
oltractor
Victor I

reproducers

Post by oltractor »

can any reproducer be used on any machine? what if anything makes them machine/model specific? thanks

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Re: reproducers

Post by FloridaClay »

No. Differences include size, the way they mount (will they fit on a given tone arm, will they fit in a way that yields the right angle between the needle and the record), whether they are for lateral or vertical cut records, etc. And of course I think it is fair to say that most collectors will generally want the reproducer to be the model that originally came on a given machine for authenticity.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

Oltractor, you may get more visibility with this and similar questions if you post it in the "Machines" category. This forum is intended for topics relating to Tech Support of the TMF board itself, not for problems or questions about our phonographs. HTH.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

oltractor wrote:can any reproducer be used on any machine? what if anything makes them machine/model specific? thanks
Edison Disc reproducers went through some design modifications -- primarily to the weight -- that would make them period-specific, and they were produced with different finishes that are appropriate for specific models. For example, a nickel-plated reproducer would be appropriate on a B-19, a gold-plated reproducer on a C-250, a bronze finish on a W-250, etc., although they are all physically interchangeable from one machine to another. Generally speaking, the reproducer finish should match the plating of the machine's other hardware, and there are many other models of each finish that I didn't list above. The copper-anodized finish reproducer was intended only for the A-150 Disc Phonograph. Also, the Long Play reproducers of 1926 were intended to be used only with the Long Play Phonographs of the same year, although again, they will physically mount to any EDP.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

oltractor wrote:can any reproducer be used on any machine? what if anything makes them machine/model specific? thanks
You might find this article helpful:

http://www.antiquephono.org/basic-antiq ... onal-tips/

George P.

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

Given the flagrantly un-rebuilt condition of that very grungy Exhibition, I would wonder about the general credibility of this article!

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

Henry wrote:Given the flagrantly un-rebuilt condition of that very grungy Exhibition, I would wonder about the general credibility of this article!

Henry, the article is excellent, and the link is from one of the leading experts on antique phonographs in the US!

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

I just read the article. It was very informative to beginners just starting out in the hobby. It was also, an excellent review for advanced collectors.
Harvey Kravitz
FloridaClay wrote:
Henry wrote:Given the flagrantly un-rebuilt condition of that very grungy Exhibition, I would wonder about the general credibility of this article!

Henry, the article is excellent, and the link is from one of the leading experts on antique phonographs in the US!

Clay

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Well, thanks Clay and Harvey for the kind words. :)

Henry, I guess I owe you an explanation.

That Exhibition is indeed untouched. It's on a Victor I that I bought in August 1972. Naturally, there's a story behind it, but that's not really germane to this explanation. Back then, I didn't know that sound boxes "should" be rebuilt, and I wouldn't have known where to get gaskets. Surprisingly, this Exhibition played pretty well, although I never played many records on this. So that explains why I didn't rebuild that sound box as soon as I brought it home. Years passed, and other disc machines joined the collection, offering better sound and multiple mainsprings or electric motors. I don't think I've played a record on that Victor I in 15 years, and at some point it occurred to me that every part on this Victor I was factory-supplied to the original owner. As long as it's not a "player," and the gaskets are still intact, why should I alter its original state? (Granted, the brass bell is polished every decade or so, the nickel is kept reasonably clean, and the motor is lightly lubed when the brass is polished.) In antique automobile collecting, you'd call this a "survivor." :lol: I have one other machine like this - all the rest have rebuilt sound boxes/reproducers.

Perhaps that Victor I is not a good candidate for the banner shot.

In any event, I hope you won't "judge the article by its cover." If there are inaccuracies there, the APS would welcome corrections!

Best to all,

George P.

recordo
Victor II
Personal Text: "Allow instrument to run whilst winding"

Post by recordo »

Brilliant article, George!