What to do with worn records??

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: What to do with worn records??

Post by Steve »

Thanks for posting, Shane, this will prove to be very useful.

I now know what to do with all my John McCormack records! :lol:

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

I once asked Patsy Stoneman Murphy, daughter of recording artist Ernest V. Stoneman, if the myriad record companies her father, mother, and uncles recorded for ever sent them samples of their records (yes), and if so, what became of them? She replied that they would set the 78's in the sun to soften and then fashion them into bowls or vases which they sold! There were 22 children in the Stoneman family . . . a lot of mouths to feed on small royalties!

John M
Last edited by JohnM on Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

heh... interesting... when is that article dated?

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

phonophan79 wrote:heh... interesting... when is that article dated?
The label on the record in the article illustration looks like a Victor 'Monarch', 'Grand Prize', or 'patents' label. Doesn't really date the article specifically, but does show what was considered obsolete even then.

John M
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

I knew that you could flatten a record that had some cupping (by pressing it under glass in direct sunlight or in an oven), but I didn’t realize that you could deform a record quite this easily.

— MordEth

[hr][/hr]

Old Records Make Flower Bowls

(Here is a photo of one of the shapes into which record may be bent for bowl when dipped into boiling water.)

VERY artistic and serviceable fruit bowls, flower jars, and sewing baskets can be made from those old worn out phonograph records you have on hand. The first step is to dip the record into boiling hot water to soften the rubber composition. In this plastic state they can be bent to any shape you may desire, one of which is shown in the accompanying photo. When the bending operations are completed the records may be decorated with some ornamental design.
Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

I'm not sure how useful a flower bowl would be with a hole in the bottom :)

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

I suppose that when you water your flowers, the hole would allow the excess to run out.

richardh

Post by richardh »

I though another good use for old 78's was to dissolve them and use the shellac mix to coat cabinets with. I thought I read that somewhere before.....in fact I think Shane said that he had done that with some of his really ancient (and broken) 78's.

RJ 8-)

richardh

Post by richardh »

LOL, true! I couldn't remember what you said you used it for :lol:

RJ 8-)