New Edison Diamond Disc Needle follow up of issues.

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories

Please rate your experience with new diamond needles:

The new needle(s) had no issues with leaving lines on record surface.
29%
The new needle(s) had issues with leaving lines on record surface.
33%
I have not purchased a new diamond needle.
38%

Total votes: 21

coyote
Victor II

Re: New Edison Diamond Disc Needle follow up of issues.

Post by coyote »

I noted something interesting today with a DD in decent shape I just received. While playing it, I noticed the areas I played were obvious. This is the ONLY record out MANY that I've noticed this with recently, and it happened with BOTH reproducers with what I consider my "best" diamonds. Both sides displayed this groove color change, however, I could NOT leave any marks in the run-out area of ONE side, but clearly made marks on the OTHER side's run-out. Very strange. Below is a photo of this. You can clearly see two sections of the record I played with two different reproducers. I didn't take a picture of the other side as I played that one the whole way through. I upped the contrast for detail, so it's not quite as bad as it appears in the photo, but noticeable. Coincidentally, this is also the side that allowed grooves to be cut in the runoff area. I don't think it's "dirt" being removed from the grooves by the stylus. Perhaps it's just this batch of condensite? Comments? Ideas? Theories?
Attachments
IMG_0851.jpg
IMG_0851.jpg (173.6 KiB) Viewed 1198 times

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

I've come across this on both DD's & 78's.
I'm not sure what it is, but I've found 78's were you can actually read the cover on the record.
I'm guessing it must have something to do with acids coming from the paper cover?
I've also found that cleaning DD's with alcohol doesn't remove the film completely. I usually clean these as best I can, play them through then polish them up with a record duster.
As long as the stylus shows no signs of leaving lines in the run out area, it's pretty safe to say the stylus is fine.
Attachments
cap 005.JPG
cap 006.JPG

richardh

Post by richardh »

Bill,

out of interest if you play the affected areas of the DD with a modern electric pick up do the altered areas exhibit any sound degredation - extra hiss or distortion?

RJ 8-)

coyote
Victor II

Post by coyote »

IT HAS TO BE DIRT, or a reaction of some kind, most likely from the jacket. I hadn't thought of using my turntable as I don't have the proper stylus, just truncated elliptical ones. However, I just tried it, and the played areas actually sounded BETTER (less rumble). I also noted that even the light modern stylus changed the color a bit just not as drastically, so perhaps I was wrong--this IS just dirt being removed. I hate using alcohol on DDs, but using a bit to test did make the grooves all one uniform color. Shane is onto something as well regarding the jackets, as this particular DD has been in the same original matching and numbered paper jacket all its life, apparently. Faded ink on the jacket has both 51077 and the record edge number (what is this, btw, a matrix number?) written on the jacket, as well as a purple stamp reading "Keep records in right envelopes." I'm still wondering why both my "good" styli make clear marks in the run-out area of one side, but not on the other, and not on other discs. Wouldn't the condensite be uniform on both sides of the same record? What reaction takes place between the old (acidic?) paper jackets and the record?

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

Coyote,

I have found that in using the Alcohol on Edisons I have to use a clean rag, then apply it quickly and then follow up with a dry one rubbing it till it shows no streaks. Otherwise they can end up looking a mess, even if the sound isn't effected. It takes a bit of practice to get them to come out nice and even looking after cleaning.

Larry

Schmaltz
Victor I
Personal Text: "Shut Your Eyes and See" (J. Joyce)

Post by Schmaltz »

I've used three new ones from Expert, all through VictrolaDoctor (George Vollema), and one of them left no mark in the dead wax whatsoever. Perfect and beautiful. The others sound good, but leave light marks in the wax.

George told me that he insists on extra polishing of the stylus when he orders from Expert. Probably makes a positive difference.

I should also count the new-ish one in my C-2, installed by Chuck Azzalina some time ago - that one has always left a line in the dead wax, but never damaged the groove and sound is nice.
Visit the virtual jukebox at The Old Schmaltz Archives.