slightly O/T - 70's turntable with "soundscape"

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonophan79
Victor IV

slightly O/T - 70's turntable with "soundscape"

Post by phonophan79 »

Never seen anything like this, just thought I'd share...

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/clt/1097302779.html

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: slightly O/T - 70's turntable with "soundscape"

Post by gramophoneshane »

I've got a seperate light box like that, made by Seco. It looks like a speaker with lumpy perspex instead of speaker cloth. You wire it to the speaker terminals & there's like a volume control on the back to adjust the sensitivity of the lights. It then lights up different sets of bulbs to the beat of the music making "trippy" patterns on the perspex.
I've never seen stereo speakers that light up like those, but I've seen light up car speakers.

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

Color organs were very popular back in the 70's and are still available today in kit form. They basically are band pass filters set to low, mid, and high audiable frequency ranges and drive lights based upon the volume/energy of the music playing. Many commercial ones were built in cheap particle board speaker enclosures with the same diffuser material used in flouresent light fixtures.

A friend of ours used to wire his christmas tree lights with the lower part of the tree connected to the low range, mid to mid and upper to upper. Watching the tree lights dance to christmas music was a unuiqe experience.

I always wanted one but could only afford a black light and some posters. Which, oddly enough, I still have tucked away in the basement.
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

phonophan79 wrote:Never seen anything like this, just thought I'd share...
Interesting find, and I cannot say that I’ve seen one of these before.

Were many of these made?

— MordEth

[hr][/hr]

VINTAGE SOUNDESIGN TRENDSETTER 6 SPACE AGE STEREO colors in motion — $250 (Hopatcong)

Reply to: sale-fudrt-1097302779@craigslist.org
Date: 2009-03-29, 9:47AM EDT

This is a vintage 1970s COLORS IN MOTION Soundesign Trendsetter 6 Stereo. I purchased this many years ago from a guy who had owned an electronics store in New York City. He said that it was the most expensive stereo they sold at the time and they were pretty much made to order and not readily available in stores at the time. Space age and modern at the time, it is the size of a small jukebox. It has sound sensors that actually flash the light panel show, according to the music. There is also a separate control for the light show, so if you would like it to flash by voice or TV, you can do it without playing music. I saw the same stereo at a big antique show in Atlantic City. A MOD FURNITURE dealer had it for almost $2,500 about 8 years ago. The radio and the light show work perfectly. The 8-track player worked fine the last time I checked about 10 years ago, but we moved in 2003 and our 8-track tapes disappeared. If you have one and would like to try it, bring it.. The record player hasn't worked in years. I was told a long time ago that the belts usually need to be replaced, but I never took it to be fixed because the unit is kind of big. The record plastic cover is not the original one to his machine. The original broke many years ago and a suitable replacement was found. The stereo is in overall good condition. By no means mint condition, but pretty nice. BLACK SILVER AND CHROME finish. There are even lights in the speakers below that flash on and off according to light panel display above. It looks like a Star Wars Jukebox. Pretty cool. Asking $250

If you are into op-art eames era mod space age or disco furnishings, you may be familiar with this.
  • It’s NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests.

Image Image
Image Image

Craigslist PostingID: 1097302779
Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Remember those 1970's stereos that were shaped like an egg that one sat in? Not sure what they were called . . .

John M
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

phonophan79 wrote:LOL two within one week...
It doesn’t seem like there’s much demand for these at that price...

— MordEth

[hr][/hr]
eBay Item #230336453251

Morse Electrophonic Jukebox Style Phonograph Radio Tape

Current bid: US $275.00 (0 bids)
End time: Apr-17-09 08:51:34 PDT (3 days 6 hours)
Shipping: pickup only
Item location: Zion Grove, PA
Seller: tuscatom (257)

Offered is what I believe would have been marketed originally as a child’s jukebox phonograph. When turned on, multi-color static lights illuminate a plastic ‘grille’ section. Turntable seems to work; I have only 33RPM records to try, but speed seems true; this ‘home entertainment’ unit also plays 78rpm and 45rpm records. Note that the turntable rubber cover, which had been glued down at one time, has been removed. It also has jacks on the back for ‘tape input’; it has an AM/FM radio which also works. Cabinet is in very nice condition. No damage to any of the plastics, including turntable lid. It measures 32" high; and is approx 17" wide and 17" deep. It is a heavy piece, and currently I'm writing this up as a ‘pick-up only’ sale; I do believe it is able to be sent by UPS service, however; I just don’t know its weight or how to wrap it myself. They would provide this service as long as it conforms to their maximum package sizes. So that's an option. The silver covering to some of the edge moldings is peeling off; but it actually would look better if it were completely peeled from the unit, as the underlying plastic covering is an attractive silvery color anyway. I do believe it needs a good cleanup, inasmuch as radio presents static when dial is turned, and when the speed indicator is moved, it seems to take a few seconds to adjust turntable speed to match. The photo of the unit's back shows a ‘light control center.’ This appears possible to turn with a straight-edge screwdriver, or perhaps there once was a knob, now missing. I don’t know what this would change with the light system, as it currently is constant, with no flashing or flicker. It’s not a flawless item, but it's in pretty nice shape, and makes a great light-up appearance. It’s likely circa 60s, but I’m unsure.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.