Columbia Lyric Stylus

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Victrolacollector
Victor V

Columbia Lyric Stylus

Post by Victrolacollector »

I purchased a stylus bar for my Columbia BK Lyric(which was originally missing), I had a new stylus replaced. I noticed that it seems to remove surface from my record, so I looked and it appears the metal edge is coming in contact with the record and slightly cutting (shaving) the record. I looked in Eric Reiss's book "Compleat Talking Machine", and it appears there are two stylus bars, The AZ and the Lyric and they are not quite the same.

I am thinking I may have a AZ installed instead of a Lyric, which may have more of a different angle.

Where can I get a stylus bar for a Columbia Lyric?

soundgen
Victor V

Re: Columbia Lyric Stylus

Post by soundgen »

Why don't you ask the supplier of the bar or the fitter of the new sapphire ?

VintageTechnologies
Victor IV

Post by VintageTechnologies »

I wonder if lengthening or shortening the link between stylus bar and diaphragm would change the angle so that metal does not contact the record? Pictures might help someone here make a diagnosis.

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Here is a photo of my Lyric reproducer.
Attachments
DSC00517.JPG

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

You have the right Lyric reproducer for your Columbia BK. I have a question: Are you playing black wax records? If so, that's one of the problems. These Columbia Lyric reproducers were designed for the 2 min Indestructible cylinders. The heavy spring on the reproducer applies pressure for loudness. They will destroy a wax cylinder. Also, check you see if the stylus is chipped. A way to tell is to lightly rub your finger nail on the stylus. If your finger nail is scratched, then the stylus is bad, and need to be replaced.
Harvey Kravitz

Victrolacollector
Victor V

The stylus feels fine. My question is..... Is this the correct stylus bar? Is this the lyric or AT bar?

Edisone
Victor IV

Post by Edisone »

Would a BQ have the same reproducer as a BK? My BQ's reproducer has a smaller diameter spring than the one in your picture, and its sapphire is much longer (knob-on-a-stick looking) & points more downward than at the angle of yours.

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

It is most definitely the wrong bar, and easy to see why the one you have is doing damage to your cylinders. Here is my BK Lyric. Unfortunately, I don't have a source for the correct bar, inasmuch as I haven't had to replace one yet.

Clay
Attachments
Lyric_01.jpg
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

flashpanblue
Victor III

Post by flashpanblue »

Hello,
I checked the reproducer on my Columbia BE ( same as BF just a smaller cabinet)and my stylus bar is just the same as yours. You have the correct stylus bar.I think that it is a linkage problem. Try a longer link. Hold the top of the reproducer in your hand and allow the weight to drop to its bottom position. Now check how the stylus sits. The tip of the stylus should sit proud of the stylus bar.
Pete

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

flashpanblue wrote:Hello,
I checked the reproducer on my Columbia BE ( same as BF just a smaller cabinet)and my stylus bar is just the same as yours. You have the correct stylus bar.I think that it is a linkage problem. Try a longer link. Hold the top of the reproducer in your hand and allow the weight to drop to its bottom position. Now check how the stylus sits. The tip of the stylus should sit proud of the stylus bar.
Pete
Pete, he has a BK, not a BE or a BF and trust me, unless Columbia used very different bars on BKs at different times, it is NOT the correct bar. The picture I posted is straight off a BK. The orientation of the ends of the bars where the stylus is mounted are completely different.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.