Edison Premium phonograph..anybody got pics?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Phototone
Victor III

Edison Premium phonograph..anybody got pics?

Post by Phototone »

In the book "From Tinfoil to Stereo" there is a photo of an Edison cylinder phonograph called a "Premium" model, which was a very low cost machine housed in a tin cabinet that appears to enclose everything, including the cylinder. I'm guessing that end of the cabinet swings up to change records. I have NEVER seen any other references to this unit. Book says they are very rare. Anybody got one, and has pics they can post showing its construction and arrangement of parts? Would love to know more about them.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Edison Premium phonograph..anybody got pics?

Post by phonogfp »

Phototone wrote:In the book "From Tinfoil to Stereo" there is a photo of an Edison cylinder phonograph called a "Premium" model, which was a very low cost machine housed in a tin cabinet that appears to enclose everything, including the cylinder. I'm guessing that end of the cabinet swings up to change records. I have NEVER seen any other references to this unit. Book says they are very rare. Anybody got one, and has pics they can post showing its construction and arrangement of parts? Would love to know more about them.
The photo of that Edison "Premium" Phonograph haunted many of us for years, along with the Diamond Disc Phonograph with a "Loud Speaking Attachment," and the external horn Disc Phonograph. (All of these are on Plate IX of the book.) Unfortunately, each of these machines was a prototype, and they were never put into production. If Read & Welch knew this, they should have mentioned it. In any event, if the "Premium" machine still exists, it's not at the West Orange complex. Perhaps an employee took it home a century ago and it lies undiscovered somewhere... :)

George P.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

It probably ended up like the Victor prototypes for using the Lumiere Diaphragm- built, tested, photographed, then eventually destroyed.

I knew an old time collector named Dr. Lynwood Hedges. He was singularly convinced that the prototype open horn Diamond Disc machine was "out there" and he'd find it. (He WAS persistent in getting what he wanted, to the point of being a pest)

VintageTechnologies
Victor IV

Post by VintageTechnologies »

I'll bet there were lots of prototypes that we'll never know about. Some were doubtless destroyed, but others went home with workmen. A friend of mine has a prototype oil-pan Gem whose base has more holes drilled into it than a piece of Swiss cheese; its reproducer carriage arm is machined, not cast.

I often wondered about the open horn Diamond Disc machine. The reproducer was obviously inspired by Pathé, but I wonder if the record propelled the horn or if this model had a feedscrew hidden inside the cabinet?

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

VintageTechnologies wrote: I often wondered about the open horn Diamond Disc machine. The reproducer was obviously inspired by Pathé, but I wonder if the record propelled the horn or if this model had a feedscrew hidden inside the cabinet?
There was an article in ITG some years ago (not to hand, unfortunately) that had a period photo of the works of the open horn DD prototype: it clearly showed the feed rack and worm wheel.

As for its fate, my hunch is that it was most likely lost in the factory fire of 1914….

Bill

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

For the record, the late Grosvenor Fattic -- at either the first or second CAPS show -- sold a beautiful replica of a an external horn Edison Disc Phonograph that he had someone build for him. It was just the cabinet. He had planned on making a functional copy, but had quit the project. It was mahogany and in the rough.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

Edisone
Victor IV

Post by Edisone »

Frow's book has 2 extra photos of the "Premium" - one shows the tin lid (hinged on the left) open, other pic shows the motor at the opposite end, with wooden flap door open (hinged at bottom)

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

Wasn't the concept of the Premium machine instigated at the suggestion of the British Branch of the National Phonograph Co.? The cylinder sales were dropping fast in the UK. after 1908 and I seem to recall that they wanted a super cheap machine to compensate for the rise in prices of the combination equipment. I will check on this.

Jim

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

I was half right: the Premium was the idea of Dobeer, the Edison sales manager in the US, but was supported by Paul Cromelin who was the director of the British works .