You've GOT to see this!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
egambino
Victor Jr

You've GOT to see this!

Post by egambino »

http://cgi.ebay.com/Excellent-rare-old- ... 2|294%3A50

Did you see the shipping costs for this treasure??

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Re: You've GOT to see this!

Post by MordEth »

egambino wrote:Did you see the shipping costs for this treasure??
Somehow I really cannot imagine that it’s going to sell with that kind of shipping fee.

Although, if you win it, it does come with a gift! :lol:

I wonder about the authenticity of their other sale items—with all the positive feedback, I’m guessing they sell to a lot of clueless buyers. ;)

— MordEth

[hr][/hr]
eBay Item #110375046019

Excellent rare old conserve full pair bugle gramophone

Current bid: US $24.99 (0 bids)
Shipping: US $446.00
End time: Apr-16-09 08:32:07 PDT (2 days 4 hours)
Seller: binglianzhixin777 (44)

Hello Dear Friend. Thank you for you visit my item. I'm glad to see you here. you are bidding on a rare and wonderful item, please don't miss so better chance to get it. it will be a good condition to display or collect. the pictures below are taked from it, please enjoy all of them, as they illustrate the condition very accurately! All the pictures will give you a good impression of all the fine details and individual scenes incorporated into this superb masterpiece. it is one of the items in my boxroom explaining the nation art and the ancient culture. I have many other wonderful collect items on ebay. If you are an antique collection or interesting in ancient culture, Please view my other wonderful items !!! Hope these rare items can bring enjoy to you and your agreeable family. Enjoy your bidding!!!

Image Image

size: 16*12*26 inches
shipping cost: $446.00 (EMS 3-7 days)
(insurance) $3.00 (require)

Please you don't miss these have high value and rarity items ,please you bid soon. we use a Very Low Starting Price customers decide final prices .

If you win two or more items together, we are glad to offer combine shipping discount to you, so you will save shipping cost greatly.

I have many other wonderful collect item on ebay. Please view my other items. If you have any question please send E-mail to me. Thanks !

shipping presentation

The shipping cost above usually EMS air-express shipping. It customarily need 3-6day can arrive your home. We also provide other shipping methods, SAL and sea shipping, If you win the item from our shop, we will present you a nice China gift. I am looking forward to make a volumes of pleasant and long cooperation with you.

I guarantee your 100% satisfaction on all of my auctions I believe one satisfied customer will bring more business and new customers. My goals are your entirely satisfaction, your repeat business and your positive feedback.
Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

egambino
Victor Jr

Post by egambino »

Plus it looks as though he's got an LP on it! The laughs just keep on coming!

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

egambino wrote:Plus it looks as though he's got an LP on it! The laughs just keep on coming!
LOL, I was going to ask about that. It just looks like "generic record", the label doesn't even appear to have anything printed or written.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Jokes aside, that really has to be one of the ugliest crapophones I've ever seen, just hideous.

richardh

Post by richardh »

Apart from being a horrible machine in general..it is interesting that this one does have the pan-a-flex tone arm found on a Columbia from the 30's!! I hope that no "live" machines were needlessly butchered for make this one!

One thing I wanted to raise was the use of dual horns....now I know that this is a crap-o-phone but were there any "real" machines that used dual horns and was there any volume advantage? I ask because surely the volume is dependent on the "pressure" of sound coming from the soundbox - divide this into two and I would have thought that each horn would produce half the volume. The net result would of been a machine that was no louder than a machine with one horn. So what would of been the advantage? Anyone got any views on this?

RJ 8-)

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

In the Eric Reiss 'Compleat Talking Machine' book, there's a dual horn machine pictured. It was called the Kalamzoo Duplex and produced sound from a dual diapraghm reproducer, into the two horns.

Rather ungainly looking thing.

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Here’s advertising copy showing The Duplex Phonograph Co.’s machine:

(Click on the image above or this link for a larger version.)

Sorry about the poor image quality—I found that via a Google image search; I didn’t scan it.

I’ll try to see if I can get a decent OCR of the text later; the small print is difficult to read given the image quality.

Also, if you’re interested, there’s an online manual for the Duplex machine...

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

richardh

Post by richardh »

Mordeth, thanks for finding that picture...I've never seen a real dual horn phono. Even if this does have a dual diaphragm would it really have been much louder...or in moving two diaphragms would this have resulted in increased record wear....so many questions arise!! Does anyone have one of these machines?

RJ 8-)

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

I was mistaken in what I posted above, this machine apparently uses a single diapraghm, not two.

Reiss describes the sound as similiar to listening to out of phase stereo speakers, no mention of just how loud it might be.

Since you have two horns adding extra weight to the arm, I'd imagine record wear would be significant.