Exhibition needlebar adjustment problems

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: Exhibition needlebar adjustment problems

Post by Steve »

Brad wrote:But wait, wasn't this thread about a needle bar adjustment
Yes, it was. We've gone from needle bar adjustments to needling the Amish! :lol:

Phonolair
Victor III

Post by Phonolair »

Phonolair wrote:few know that when you install the white rubber gaskets the joints should be opposite
VictrolaGuy - Walt wrote:The mention of it has been around forever
This statement has been around forever because its specified in Victor's repair and rebuild instructions for the Exhibition.
But I do agree about a well sealed gasket failing. I can’t see how the Exhibition could generate enough pressure, air flow or stress to make a gasket fail no matter where the joints were. I have no knowledge if Victor ever did any testing on joint placement or if it was just common practice to stagger joints in construction. But I doubt it makes any real difference in performance. But as a phonograph collector the only thing I’m after is a authentic rebuild and performing reproducer as Victor intended, no better no worse. I’ll leave the pursuit of increasing the performance of reproducers by means of better materials or methods to the so inclined. We all have areas that interest us, that fall within phonograph and record collecting.

Best Regards, Larry

B.B.B
Victor I

Post by B.B.B »

Brad wrote: But wait, wasn't this thread about a needle bar adjustment???

Hey Triple-B, did you resolve your issue?
Thanks for being concerned about me... :D

I went with Shanes tip, I screwed the mica back on & using the mica as a reference, very carefully, without heating, bent the needlebar out a tad, so the mica ligned up perfectly.
I haven't put all the pieces back together yet, but my fingers are crossed. I'll be back, when I'm done.

So meanwhile, please feel free to discuss if there is any other minorities you want to burn with lasers.. :mrgreen:
Searching for The Sound

B.B.B
Victor I

Post by B.B.B »

At last I found some time to deal with the issue.
And I also found the issue.

When I took everything apart, once more, I found that not only the needlebar had been slightly bent.
One of the "wings" that holds the springs, were sligthly bent & also a tad twisted, strangely enough.
I managed to turn it back, using a a pair of pliers & a lot of careful patience.
It wouldn't go back to 100% straight without a fight, so I settled for 97%, for fear of breaking it off.

Anyway, I put everything together & now it sounds great & the needle points almost, almost straight.
Searching for The Sound