gemering
Victor IV

Re: Inventory of Beethoven and Schubert Edisonic phonographs

Post by gemering »

Edisonic Schubert:

Serial#: 1556
When Purchased: August 2013
From Whom: Craigslist Atlanta
Cabinet Condition: C- with some large chips to the veneer on top and a badly warped left side. Grill cloth is original and not torn.
Upgrades: I had to re-attach the reproducer collar which had fallen off.

The machine sounds great and I would love to bring it back to its former glory.
Sadly, I do not have any experience or skill in cabinet repair, or I would do the job myself.
Gene
Attachments
DSCF9967.JPG
DSCF9959.JPG
DSCF9961.JPG
DSCF9965.JPG
DSCF9964.JPG

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Great initiative here. I hope everyone with one of these provides the information. I'd also like to see some good, detailed pictures of the Beethoven if one of you is able.

Thanks!

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Sorry - - just another one of these...

Model: Schubert Edisonic
Serial number: 3020
When purchased: January 26, 2009
From whom purchased: Rochester (NY) Craigslist
Cabinet condition when purchased: Poor. The non-crank side of the cabinet had been exposed to weather; perhaps on a porch. All four legs required complete dismantling and re-gluing. The non-crank side of cabinet required stabilization and a complete re-veneer (all the original veneer was missing on this side). The top of the lid required re-veneering. The original finish was salvaged on the rest of the machine. Replacement knobs.

If it hadn't been for the Edisonic reproducer, the machine's excellent playing condition, and the records, I probably wouldn't have brought this one home. The machine came with 24 discs, 21 of which were 52000 series dance bands and a few Vaughn De Leath. The machine bears a decal (and small stickers on some of the discs) for a well-known Rochester retailer, the Levis Music Store. The original discs are still kept in the machine.

George P.
Attachments
schubert3.jpg
schubert1.jpg
schubert2.jpg

coyote
Victor II

Post by coyote »

Serial number: 2288
When purchased: February 2009
From whom purchased: eBay seller from Strongsville, OH, who probably purchased it from Estes Auction (see third May 1, 2014 post in this thread), assumed from matching damage on right door and location proximity.
Cabinet condition when purchased: veneer intact, but alligatored/weathered/scratched, original door knobs but one cracked and glued prior to owning (looks to be a common occurrence with these knobs). Grille cloth original and great condition.
Upgrades made by present owner: None, other than replacing standard reproducer with correct Edisonic.

Hm, thought I had more photos, but this approximates the finish condition.
IMG_0871.JPG
showing dents to lower right corner of right door
showing dents to lower right corner of right door
Last edited by coyote on Thu May 08, 2014 1:19 am, edited 5 times in total.

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

Mine is a Schubert model.

Serial number: 4005 (pretty late!)
When purchased (by me): May 1999
From whom purchased: Original owner's family.
Cabinet condition when purchased: Very good original. Light alligatoring to finish. Couple of light bumps on one cabinet corner.
Upgrades made by present owner (me): Nothing. I like it just as it is.
Other interesting aspects: Cabinet was full with (mostly) later 52,000 series Edison Diamond Discs and a separate wooden crate that contained another 20 or so.

Doug

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

Here are the two I mentioned earlier in this post. I will add more pics of the Beethoven later.
bee.JPG
Steve

pughphonos
Victor III
Personal Text: Ms. Pugh

Post by pughphonos »

Wowsers, Steve! All our Edisonics are special, but I think we can all take our hats off to you for two pretty spectacular machines.
"You must serve music, because music is so enormous and can envelop you into such a state of perpetual anxiety and torture--but it is our first and main duty"
-- Maria Callas, 1968 interview.

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

a couple more
P4220008.JPG
P4220007.JPG

pughphonos
Victor III
Personal Text: Ms. Pugh

Post by pughphonos »

SCHUBERT EDISONIC IN THE UK AS OF 9/8/2012

Serial number: 1902

Our very own Epigramophone reported the following on our forum on September 8, 2012:

There cannot be many Schuberts in the UK, but one of the few is the subject of an article in the CLPGS magazine "For the Record" No.23 Autumn 2007.

The article states that early in 1928 a wooden motor board was fitted together with a different horn, possibly in response to Edison's belated introduction of electrical recording.

The UK machine bears the Serial Number CLT:1902 and has a black painted metal motor plate.
"You must serve music, because music is so enormous and can envelop you into such a state of perpetual anxiety and torture--but it is our first and main duty"
-- Maria Callas, 1968 interview.

Dustie89
Victor III

Post by Dustie89 »

I have a nice Schubert s/n 2723, and a Beethoven s/n 1853 in my collection. The Beethoven is in need of complete restoration, and missing the reproducer.

Dustin Ellis
Mount Pleasant Edison Phonograph Museum
Mount Pleasant Texas