The Edison Standard Data Project

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
martinola
Victor III

The Edison Standard Data Project

Post by martinola »

As some of you may know, I've been keeping data on Edison Standard Phonographs. The Antique Phonograph Society was kind enough to post my article and excel sheet on their website.

link:
http://www.antiquephono.org/spotters-gu ... honograph/

The data collection is on-going. My hope is to periodically update the excel sheet as new data is available. This is where you, the collector, comes in. If you would like to add your machine to the sheet, please PM me. The data project is based on being filtered through my observations while looking at the actual machine, or photographs and/or conversing with the owner/seller. Here is what I'd need:

1) photo - full machine front ¾ view with crank side visible
2) photo - full machine back ¾ view with non crank side visible
3) photo - close of top works ¾ view from above - non crank side
4) photo - close of top works ¾ view from above - crank side
5) photo - close patent plate with serial number visible
6) photo - close up of serial number on boss or straight edge (if no # on plate)
7) photo - full view of lid
8) photo(s) of any unusual detail (like dealer decal, tag, grooved mandrel, etc.)
9) brief description with serial, last patent date, any data on where machine was acquired, any stories or history if known, any known changes to the machine, current location (city, state and country), and owner name credit (or online handle or n/a).

Photos can be attached through this site's Personal Messaging function. By the way: junk machines, parts machines, bedplates and even single patent plates help tell the bigger story. The main thing is to relate it all to the serial number.

Please be patient with me in communication as I travel for a living and am often out of electronic communication for a couple of days at a time.

Thanks to all of you for making the Edison Standard Data Project a useful resource to Collectors, Historians and Restorers.

Best Regards,
Martin

whitedogfive
Victor O

Re: The Edison Standard Data Project

Post by whitedogfive »

Thanks for all the hard work and contributions you have done, that help us all to better understand the hobby we all love. :D

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

Shucks.

Thanks for that, whitedogfive.

@ everybody: I might also mention that having a detailed photographic record of each machine is useful for insurance purposes and ebay listings. (hint, hint) ;)

- Martin

fourforty
Victor I

Post by fourforty »

I too sing the praises of Martinola's Edison Standard Spotter's Guide. It is THE great companion to Frow's book for the Edison Standard owner.

The narrative and photos help the collector identify what they own, or to identify the correctness of a Standard they may be contemplating to purchase.

The Microsoft Excel spreadsheet at the bottom of the guide is also a treat. A very exhaustive study showing how features relate to serial numbers. The spreadsheet is a great resource for assembling a "period correct" Edison Standard from a parts supply. My desire is to acquire or assemble a 1905 Standard Model B with period correct 1911 dealer modifications such as combination 2&4 minute gearing, cygnet horn and reproducer upgrade. This is one way to "go back in time" and have the Standard I would have owned if I were alive a century ago.

You can scroll up to find Martin's links to his Spotter's Guide.

De Soto Frank
Victor V

Post by De Soto Frank »

Martin,

I have an unrestored "signature" B that I want to add to your database... just have to find the time to take pictures...

:coffee:
De Soto Frank

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

De Soto Frank wrote:Martin,

I have an unrestored "signature" B that I want to add to your database... just have to find the time to take pictures...

:coffee:
To quote Mr. Burns: Exxcellent! :D

@ fourforty: Thanks for the great review!

- Martin