C250/C19 Database project

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: C250/C19 Database project

Post by fran604g »

AmberolaAndy wrote:Add mine to your list?

1. C-19
2. 86919
3. 3d Black with no pin striping.
4A. No
4B. Circular
4C. Two springs
4D. Gold plated
5. 5D R2
6. 6C Numbered 1-36 top and bottom
7 Mahogany
8. No
9. "Edison No. 33 cabinet factory" on right side of horn
10. None
11. None when I first got it. But I have since added red cloth to the grille.
12. The center
Thank you, and I see you're a relatively new forum member, so: "Welcome to the forum" if you haven't yet been!

I'll add your Chippendale to my spreadsheet.

Have you found the link to the Antique Phonograph Society website, in which I have posted my "distilled" spreadsheet with production date estimates? If not, here is a link to it: https://www.antiquephono.org/category/introductory/ along with several other great introductory articles. I wrote a 4-part series of articles that were featured in the APS journal, The Antique Phonograph, from December 2015 - September 2016 in celebration of the Chippendale's 100th anniversary, and all of the past articles and features of the journal (and many, many past society's publications, too) can be accessed via the search function at the website (for members).

If you're not already a member of the APS, I would encourage joining, as the wealth of information contained within the organization is unparalleled. A very worthy small expense for such a wealth of material!

Best wishes,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

fran604g wrote:
AmberolaAndy wrote:Add mine to your list?

1. C-19
2. 86919
3. 3d Black with no pin striping.
4A. No
4B. Circular
4C. Two springs
4D. Gold plated
5. 5D R2
6. 6C Numbered 1-36 top and bottom
7 Mahogany
8. No
9. "Edison No. 33 cabinet factory" on right side of horn
10. None
11. None when I first got it. But I have since added red cloth to the grille.
12. The center
Thank you, and I see you're a relatively new forum member, so: "Welcome to the forum" if you haven't yet been!

I'll add your Chippendale to my spreadsheet.

Have you found the link to the Antique Phonograph Society website, in which I have posted my "distilled" spreadsheet with production date estimates? If not, here is a link to it: https://www.antiquephono.org/category/introductory/ along with several other great introductory articles. I wrote a 4-part series of articles that were featured in the APS journal, The Antique Phonograph, from December 2015 - September 2016 in celebration of the Chippendale's 100th anniversary, and all of the past articles and features of the journal (and many, many past society's publications, too) can be accessed via the search function at the website (for members).

If you're not already a member of the APS, I would encourage joining, as the wealth of information contained within the organization is unparalleled. A very worthy small expense for such a wealth of material!

Best wishes,
Fran

Thanks! I will keep this stuff in mind. I recently had the reproducer rebuilt on my Chippendale. Sounds wonderful! Once again thanks!

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

Hi folks,

I will continue to update my spreadsheet to reflect new entries, so I am posting this updated version of the questionnaire for newer members, or veterans that may not have participated in the project.

For further accuracy, I've found it necessary to develop additional sub-categories for many of the original categories over the course of my study, and they are reflected in this UPDATED post.

Your participation and comments are truly appreciated.

Thank you all,
Fran

The following are particular features that I am observing, please number your responses accordingly.

1. What is the Model Designation? "C 250" or "C 19"

2. What is the Serial Number? "SM-??????"

3. Which finish does the motor plate have?:

3A) "Maroon" with gold pin striping (as the B 250 had).
3B) "Black with Maroon decals" (the maroon decals are applied near the speed control knob, and at the lower left hand corner of the motor plate".
3C) "Black ONLY with pin striping present".
3D) "Black with NO pin striping".

4(A) Are there drip pans present under the governor, innermost spring barrel (found only on the earliest C 250's) AND: are they finished in "Maroon", or "Black”?

4(B) Does the top of the motor plate have a continuous flat surface, or is there a large concentric circular depression (located beneath the turntable) present? Please state "Flat" or "Circular".

4(C) Does the governor (located beneath the turntable) have "2 springs" or "3 springs"?

4(D) Which finish is on the reproducer, horn throat, and other hardware on the motor plate? “Gold plated”, or “Gun-metal” (AKA "antique bronze")?

5. Which "Official Laboratory Medallion" is present?

5A) "P-1" = Pentagonal flange with circular boss stating: “The $250 Diamond Disc Phonograph is the Official Laboratory Model Thos A Edison”
5B) "P-2" = Pentagonal flange with circular boss stating: “The C250 Diamond Disc Phonograph is the Official Laboratory Model Thos A Edison”
5C) "R-1" = Round emblem stating: “The Model 250 Diamond Disc Phonograph is the Official Laboratory Model Thos A Edison”
5D) "R-2" = Round emblem stating: “Diamond Disc Official Laboratory Model Thos A Edison”

6. Which form of record storage is present:

6A) 2 Drawers divided into 5-compartments.
6B) 2 Drawers divided by individual record "slots", each numbered 1-36.
6C) 2 Shelves divided by individual record "slots"; AND: Are the corresponding numbered strips for the shelves: 1-36 on both strips OR are they numbered 1-36 on the top strip and 37-72 on the bottom strip?

7. Cabinet Wood Type: "Mahogany" or "Oak"

8. Is an "Electric Automatic Stop" (AKA Duncan Stop) present on the motor plate? Yes/No

9. Please list any dealer tags or decals present anywhere on the cabinet: Name/Address, location on machine, etc.

10. Are there any original dated sales receipts/shipping documentation, etc. with the machine? (Dates are particularly noteworthy)

11. Is there Grille cloth present? AND: What is the Color?

12. Is the record storage door held open by a rod at the top, center, or the bottom of the cabinet door?
Last edited by fran604g on Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

phono-farm
Victor O

Post by phono-farm »

Here is the data from my three C19 machines:

1. C 19
2. SM--75825
3. 3D, black with no pinstriping
4A. no
4B. Circular
4C. 2 springs
4D. Gold plated
5. R-1
6. 6B, but there are no numbers. There would be slots in each drawer for 37 records but some of the dividers are missing.
7. Oak
8. No
9. Edison No. 18 cabinet factory. no others.
10. no
11. entire grill is missing
12. bottom

Another one:
1. C 19
2. SM-112947
4A. no
4B. Circular
4C. 2 springs
4D. Gold plated
5. R-2
6. record storage unit is missing but the area looks like it originally had a type 6C.
7. Oak
8. No
9. none
10. no
11. newer wrong burlap cloth
12. center

Another one:
1. C 19
2. SM-84093
4A. no
4B. Circular
4C. 2 springs
4D. Gold plated
5. R-1, with Model 250 on it
6. 6C. 1-36 on both strips
7. Mahogany
8. No
9. Edison No. 19 cabinet factory. Also Foster & Waldo/Minneapolis decal at rear of compartment
10. no
11. original looking tan silk
12. center

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

phono-farm wrote:Here is the data from my three C19 machines:

1. C 19
2. SM--75825
4A. no
4B. Circular
4C. 2 springs
4D. Gold plated
5. R-1
6. 6B, but there are no numbers. There would be slots in each drawer for 37 records but some of the dividers are missing.
7. Oak
8. No
9. Edison No. 18 cabinet factory. no others.
10. no
11. entire grill is missing
12. bottom

Another one:
1. C 19
2. SM-112947
4A. no
4B. Circular
4C. 2 springs
4D. Gold plated
5. R-2
6. record storage unit is missing but the area looks like it originally had a type 6C.
7. Oak
8. No
9. none
10. no
11. newer wrong burlap cloth
12. center

Another one:
1. C 19
2. SM-84093
4A. no
4B. Circular
4C. 2 springs
4D. Gold plated
5. R-1, with Model 250 on it
6. 6C. 1-36 on both strips
7. Mahogany
8. No
9. Edison No. 19 cabinet factory. Also Foster & Waldo/Minneapolis decal at rear of compartment
10. no
11. original looking tan silk
12. center
Thank you very much, Greg. I'll add your data to my spreadsheet.

I also just realized that there is a typo on question 6B! It should read 36, not "38". And after all this time... :oops:

Cheers,
Fran

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

Hi folks,

I will continue to update my spreadsheet to reflect new entries, so I am posting this updated version of the questionnaire for newer members, or veterans that may not have participated in the project.

For further accuracy, I've found it necessary to develop additional sub-categories for many of the original categories over the course of my study, and they are reflected in this UPDATED post.

Your participation and comments are truly appreciated.

Thank you all,
Fran

The following are particular features that I am observing, please number your responses accordingly.

1. What is the Model Designation? "C 250" or "C 19"

2. What is the Serial Number? "SM-??????"

3. Which finish does the motor plate have?:

3A) "Maroon" with gold pin striping (as the B 250 had).
3B) "Black with Maroon decals" (the maroon decals are applied near the speed control knob, and at the lower left hand corner of the motor plate".
3C) "Black ONLY with pin striping present".
3D) "Black with NO pin striping".

4(A) Are there drip pans present under the governor, innermost spring barrel (found only on the earliest C 250's) AND: are they finished in "Maroon", or "Black”?

4(B) Does the top of the motor plate have a continuous flat surface, or is there a large concentric circular depression (located beneath the turntable) present? Please state "Flat" or "Circular".

4(C) Does the governor (located beneath the turntable) have "2 springs" or "3 springs"?

4(D) Which finish is on the reproducer, horn throat, and other hardware on the motor plate? “Gold plated”, or “Gun-metal” (AKA "antique bronze")?

5. Which "Official Laboratory Medallion" is present?

5A) "P-1" = Pentagonal flange with circular boss stating: “The $250 Diamond Disc Phonograph is the Official Laboratory Model Thos A Edison”
5B) "P-2" = Pentagonal flange with circular boss stating: “The C250 Diamond Disc Phonograph is the Official Laboratory Model Thos A Edison”
5C) "R-1" = Round emblem stating: “The Model 250 Diamond Disc Phonograph is the Official Laboratory Model Thos A Edison”
5D) "R-2" = Round emblem stating: “Diamond Disc Official Laboratory Model Thos A Edison”

6. Which form of record storage is present:

6A) 2 Drawers divided into 5-compartments.
6B) 2 Drawers divided by individual record "slots", each numbered 1-36.
6C) 2 Shelves divided by individual record "slots"; AND: Are the corresponding numbered strips for the shelves: 1-36 on both strips OR are they numbered 1-36 on the top strip and 37-72 on the bottom strip?

7. Cabinet Wood Type: "Mahogany" or "Oak"

8. Is an "Electric Automatic Stop" (AKA Duncan Stop) present on the motor plate? Yes/No

9. Please list any dealer tags or decals present anywhere on the cabinet: Name/Address, location on machine, etc.

10. Are there any original dated sales receipts/shipping documentation, etc. with the machine? (Dates are particularly noteworthy)

11. Is there Grille cloth present? AND: What is the Color?

12. Is the record storage door held open by a rod at the top, center, or the bottom of the cabinet door?

sam1979
Victor Jr

Post by sam1979 »

If this is of any use here's the info I have on mine:

1. C 250.

2. SM 13947

3. 3c I think, Black with gold stripe around the perimeter, gold lettering on legends e.g. speed and oiling info.

4(A) Drip pan under governor, black. Not present under spring barrel

4(B) Flat.

4(C) 2 Springs,(Domed weights).

4(D) Gold.

5. P-2.

6. Which form of record storage is present:2 Drawers, 5 compartments each

7. Mahogany, quite 'red' variety.

8. No electric stop.

9. No dealer details. Imported to UK from USA in the 20's I'm told.

10. No.

11. Cloth is pool-table green and likely a replacement.

12. Bottom Rod.

colmike1
Victor III

Post by colmike1 »

I have a C19 currently on eBay. Here are the details:
1. Model Designation: C-19

2. Serial Number: 79726

3. Bedplate Pinstriping: N

4. "Official Laboratory" Medallion: Round

5. Exact Wording of the Medallion: Diamond Disc Official Laboratory Model Thos A Edison

6. Record Storage: Shelves

7. Cabinet Wood Type: Mahogany

8. Duncan Stop?: N

9. Dealer Tag: N

10. Original Dated Sales Receipt/Shipping Documentation, etc.: N

11. Grille cloth? Color?: Traces, appear to have been gold

For those with C-19's, please supplement the above information to include the following addendums to the list of criteria that I've asked for previously:

12) Is the reproducer, horn throat, and other hardware on the turntable: gold plated

13) Is the record storage door held open by a rod: at the center shelf

14) Are the numbered strips for the record storage: 1-36 on both strips

15) Does the governor: 2 springs

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Addition:

4(A): Yes (governor & spring barrel): black.

Bill

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

sam1979 wrote:If this is of any use here's the info I have on mine:

1. C 250.

2. SM 13947

3. 3c I think, Black with gold stripe around the perimeter, gold lettering on legends e.g. speed and oiling info.

4(A) Drip pan under governor, black. Not present under spring barrel

4(B) Flat.

4(C) 2 Springs,(Domed weights).

4(D) Gold.

5. P-2.

6. Which form of record storage is present:2 Drawers, 5 compartments each

7. Mahogany, quite 'red' variety.

8. No electric stop.

9. No dealer details. Imported to UK from USA in the 20's I'm told.

10. No.

11. Cloth is pool-table green and likely a replacement.

12. Bottom Rod.
Thank you very much for the information of your long-traveled ca.1916 Chippendale C 250! Long may she sing!

Happy Holidays!

Fran