New Item at the Wayne Show

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
DrGregC
Victor I

New Item at the Wayne Show

Post by DrGregC »

It's not often that you go to an antique phonograph show and see something new. The congenial Peter Liebert of Nipperhead fame (http://www.nipperhead.com/) and his lovely wife Joanne were showing prototypes of an exciting new item for collectors. Peter has been able to duplicate accurate copies of both Victor type and Edison DD records. The DD that I heard sounded great and Peter, with his usual eye for detail, even had an excellent Edison paper label reproduced on the disc. Peter says the product is still under developement. He is looking for clean copies of some rare & desirable titles once he is able to start production. Maybe if Peter reads this message, he can explain the process in more detail.

EdisonSquirrel
Victor II

Re: New Item at the Wayne Show

Post by EdisonSquirrel »

Reproduction Diamond Discs! Wow! Is the prototype repro indistinguishable from a DD?

:squirrel:

Rocky

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Post by barnettrp21122 »

The disc looks pretty normal lying on the turntable and playing, but once you pick it up you notice it's much lighter, being made of solid resin. Turn it over and you see that it's blank, since the resin is poured onto the mold on what I'd figure is a flat horizontal surface. They're working on a way to make two-sided discs.
It played very well as much as I could tell in the noisy surroundings. I was surprised they could make a mold that could replicate the fine grooves of the disc without air bubbles, etc. They also had examples of a Berliner disc, and a couple others.
I didn't think to ask with what type of needle the resin lateral discs would need. I wouldn't think they'd stand up to steel needles.
I had a good demonstration with two very nice enthusiastic people!
Bob B.
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

richardh

Post by richardh »

This is a very interesting development. Please keep us posted. I can think of a few difficut titles to get hold of that wuld be nice to have...provided the price was right. I onder how they do it? do they take a dub from the disk and cut a new master and produce the new disks from that or do tey take a mold diret from the origial disk? Can't see many collectors wanting to lend a rare disk for that to be done to it. :shock: Umm, I shall be watching for more developments on this.

RJ 8-)