Null

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Henry
Victor V

Re: Tungs-Tone Needle question

Post by Henry »

Let me hazard a guess: because they'd sound like crap. Like all those "plastic" clarinet, sax, oboe, and bassoon reeds.

Guess no. 2: market for such is too insignificant, in the great scheme of things. There just aren't that many of us, compared with, say, users of toothbrushes.

1926CredenzaOwner
Victor II

Post by 1926CredenzaOwner »

!
Last edited by 1926CredenzaOwner on Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Henry wrote:Let me hazard a guess: because they'd sound like crap. Like all those "plastic" clarinet, sax, oboe, and bassoon reeds.

Guess no. 2: market for such is too insignificant, in the great scheme of things. There just aren't that many of us, compared with, say, users of toothbrushes.
Why would they have to sound like crap? That's what engineering is for, right?

John M
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

richardh

Post by richardh »

Here is a suitable cactus needle sharpener...A BCN one if im not mistaken (or at least something similar)

Needle sharpener

Here is one with a box and hopefully instructions

BCN sharpener

RJ 8-)

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

JohnM wrote:

John M
Isn't that what they said at GM?

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Henry wrote:
JohnM wrote:

John M
Isn't that what they said at GM?
Also what they said at TAE, Inc. isn't it?

I've had whale ivory needles that worked extremely well, even with multiple plays between sharpening. Sharpening was just a stroke or two on emery paper. Surely there is a plastic with the same hardness/density/whatever of ivory? Or how about ceramic needles that 'never need sharpening'?

Just trying to think outside the (sound)box here . . . maybe American industry wouldn't be in such big trouble if us Philistines were running the show!

John M

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Henry wrote:Guess no. 2: market for such is too insignificant, in the great scheme of things. There just aren't that many of us, compared with, say, users of toothbrushes.
If the market can justify the continuous production of steel needles for 122 years now, why would squeezing some plastic through a die or whatever be such a huge ordeal? Meese Orbitron Dunne does it right up the hill from me all day long for god knows how many customers. There doesn't seem to be any similar objection to remaking bamboo or cactus thorn needles. There are more collectors now than ever before! I would think there would be a huge market for the 'perfect needle'.

John M

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

I think some sort of plastic needle should be possible too, but whether the right type of plastic would be cost effective compared to steel is another story.
The greenies would probably on our backs for using them too :)

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

I consider myself a "greenie", and while I try to avoid having superfluous plastic in my home, my greatest plastics objection is to wasteful packaging and stupid unnecessary items. The amount of plastic used to produce needles would be small compared to so many other things, and they would be useful.

John M

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

gramophoneshane wrote:I think some sort of plastic needle should be possible too, but whether the right type of plastic would be cost effective compared to steel is another story.
If the plastic needle is good for multiple plays and is re-sharpenable, the cost per play should be comparable to steel and perhaps surpass it.

John M