Featured Phonograph #103

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Re: Featured Phonograph #103

Post by Valecnik »

Any thoughts on the maker of that horn?

Also, it looks about the same size as the Victor "L" size horn. Are the dimensions the same as the "L"?

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Well, I have a spare "L" horn. The bell is 23.5" in diameter. The horn is a monster!!... :shock:.
Victor L Black & Brass Horn.JPG

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Le0 wrote:
alang wrote:Congratulations, that's a great machine. I agree, that brass horn looks stunning.

I am a bit confused about the serial number though. Based on the Victor Data Book S/N 13954 would make this a type M from about 1905, but based on the pictures of the case, elbow, and brake it looks like a type A from 1909 to 1913. Does anyone have an explanation?

Thanks for sharing.
Andreas
it has the right motor for slotted crank and the early motor board latch. elbow is the early pinned kind, I bought it separately with the horn (I'm not sure if it's "right"). I can't tell for the brake but it's been there for a long time that's for sure.
I did not want to suggest that anything is wrong with the machine. Everything looks like it has always been that way and you just confirmed that it has the earlier style motor. I only pointed out differences to the Victor Data Book that confused me. Based on the book the older style motor and case should have the crank farther to the front of the machine. So was there an additional intermediate style with the newer style case and the older style motor that may have started around 1905, but is not listed in the VDB?

Thanks
Andreas

Le0
Victor II
Personal Text: avid 22 years old collector

Post by Le0 »

alang wrote:
I did not want to suggest that anything is wrong with the machine. Everything looks like it has always been that way and you just confirmed that it has the earlier style motor. I only pointed out differences to the Victor Data Book that confused me. Based on the book the older style motor and case should have the crank farther to the front of the machine. So was there an additional intermediate style with the newer style case and the older style motor that may have started around 1905, but is not listed in the VDB?

Thanks
Andreas
no worries :lol:
Machines I own: Edison Standard A, suitcase Home, Home A, Triumph A & B, Columbia type BS, Standard Model A, Victor E, IV & V, Pathéphone No.4

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

Very nice machine. I've had my Vic 5 for over 40 years now and it's not going anywhere in my lifetime. Personally, I like the Vic 6, but am not willing to pay the price. It seems that lately at Stanton's you will find a Vic 6 selling for 2-3X the price of a comparable Vic 5 (assuming spearpoint horns on both) and more than that if the 6 has the all brass floral horn or the papier mache horn.
BTW: how long is the horn?

Jim

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

gramophone78 wrote:Well, I have a spare "L" horn. The bell is 23.5" in diameter. The horn is a monster!!... :shock:.
How long is your "L"? I've a spare one too but don't have access to it. They really are monsters!

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Valecnik wrote:
gramophone78 wrote:Well, I have a spare "L" horn. The bell is 23.5" in diameter. The horn is a monster!!... :shock:.
How long is your "L"? I've a spare one too but don't have access to it. They really are monsters!
My "L" horn is 27" long... :shock:.. :).

Valecnik
Victor VI

Post by Valecnik »

gramophone78 wrote:
Valecnik wrote:
My "L" horn is 27" long... :shock:.. :).

So Leo's all brass horn is about the same diameter and 36 inches long. Really amazing the back bracket supports it!