Edison Home

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
dutchman
Victor IV

Edison Home

Post by dutchman »

One of my Edison home machines is hard to wind. It plays well once wound up but curious what could be causing the hard winding. Spring need to be regreased, spring shortened somewhere along the line? Thanks. Bill K

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: Edison Home

Post by fran604g »

dutchman wrote:One of my Edison home machines is hard to wind. It plays well once wound up but curious what could be causing the hard winding. Spring need to be regreased, spring shortened somewhere along the line? Thanks. Bill K
Sounds to me like the motor could use a complete cleaning. The build up of gunk from old oil and grease can cause a great deal of friction in any of the moving parts. Can you snap a picture of the motor?

Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

dutchman
Victor IV

Post by dutchman »

Sure can. I'll take a photo or two tomorrow morning and post them. Thanks

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

My Edison Standard A is the same. I completely cleaned and re-greased the motor myself, so I know it's not that. The spring is brand new, purchased from Wyatt's. It was a bear to put in, so I think it is just a very strong spring that's causing it to be hard to wind. Of course bit then plays through 4 cylinders easily, so I'm not complaining. :lol:

Andreas

dutchman
Victor IV

Post by dutchman »

You may have hit the nail on the head Alang. At any rate here are a few photos:
        Attachments
        004.JPG
        004.JPG (79.75 KiB) Viewed 1171 times
        003.JPG
        003.JPG (81.81 KiB) Viewed 1171 times
        002.JPG
        002.JPG (79.45 KiB) Viewed 1171 times

dutchman
        Victor IV

Post by dutchman »

alang wrote:My Edison Standard A is the same. I completely cleaned and re-greased the motor myself, so I know it's not that. The spring is brand new, purchased from Wyatt's. It was a bear to put in, so I think it is just a very strong spring that's causing it to be hard to wind. Of course bit then plays through 4 cylinders easily, so I'm not complaining. :lol:

Andreas
        I'm taking Alang's solution which he posted July 11, 2014........ :D Bill K