My Wayne Treasures

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Aaron
Victor II

My Wayne Treasures

Post by Aaron »

Hi every one,

I was going to post my pictures in one of the topics already created but i figured what the heck....

First ill show you my Edison Shaver..

Then ill show you the before and after on my Columbia Graphophone Model "A"

So ON WITH THE SHOW!!!!

P.S. Read my second post first because i couldnt fit them all on the first post so START ON THE SECOND!!!!!
Attachments
the inside is off coarse dirty...
the inside is off coarse dirty...
The one piece on the back had fallen off but has managed to stay witht the machine
The one piece on the back had fallen off but has managed to stay witht the machine
the case bottom has some problems...
the case bottom has some problems...
heres the motor that was already fine...
heres the motor that was already fine...
here is the WONDERFUL decal!!!! and just the begining of the cleaned up pictures..
here is the WONDERFUL decal!!!! and just the begining of the cleaned up pictures..
here are the top half decals cleaned...
here are the top half decals cleaned...
here it is cleaned up again
here it is cleaned up again
Ok so who has this DD record??? only 500 were made i believe i was told...
Ok so who has this DD record??? only 500 were made i believe i was told...
this is the back side of it....
this is the back side of it....
Heres the group of BROWN wax cylinders i picked up all in VERY GOOD condition...I will takes pictures of them individually later...
Heres the group of BROWN wax cylinders i picked up all in VERY GOOD condition...I will takes pictures of them individually later...
Last edited by Aaron on Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Aaron
Victor II

Re: My Wayne Treasure

Post by Aaron »

here are some more picture i couldnt fit in the first post....
Attachments
here is the shaveing machine that i HAVE NOT retored yet!!!
here is the shaveing machine that i HAVE NOT retored yet!!!
here is the decal....remember not restored yet!!  i wonder why they made the decal so small on such a large machine?
here is the decal....remember not restored yet!! i wonder why they made the decal so small on such a large machine?
here is the whole thing.... before resto...
here is the whole thing.... before resto...
look what was hiding under the top works...those things you see covered in grease i think are pin needles...
look what was hiding under the top works...those things you see covered in grease i think are pin needles...

WDC
Victor IV

Re: My Wayne Treasures

Post by WDC »

Aaron,

I am glad to hear you had good time there. I wished I was around too but my studies kept me here by now. I am just getting myself back to the TMF.

The A looks indeed very nice, you gave it a good cleaning job, great decal and cleaning job!

Norman

phonophan79
Victor IV

Re: My Wayne Treasure

Post by phonophan79 »

Aaron wrote:Ok so who has this DD record??? only 500 were made i believe i was told...
That's a Diamond Picture Disc? It's made to be played on Diamond Disc phonographs? It was made post-mortem?

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

It's actually an LP...Charley Hummel always has a stack of them at the show...

That "A" looks great, Aaron! You should post a YouTube video of it playing a brown wax cylinder when you've got it all ready to roll. I see you picked up a bunch of Charley's wax cylinders as well! What is he charging for them these days? I bought some of these from him several years ago...some interesting stuff!

...and Happy belated Birthday!

Sean

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Looks like you might have a couple Pathé cylinders amongst those. Very cool.
And I'd so kill for that shaving machine!
That is a small decal. Others I've seen are about the size of the standard banner. It's obviously original though. I guess it must be a later decal- possibly introduced when the banner decal disappeared from phonos??
Is it a spring motor?

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Happy Birthday, Aaron!

The Type A Graphophone cleaned up nicely. That's one of my favorite models, and yours appears to date from late 1897/early 1898. I can't quite make it out from the photo, but your reproducer seems to be the heavy "D" Type made for 5" machines - - but I could be mistaken. Does it have two little metal prongs hanging down when in place?

One other thing - - should you be inclined to disassemble the mandrel from the upper casting, be aware that the securing nut on the pulley is threaded opposite the usual manner. In this instance it's "Lefty-tighty, righty-loosey!" A small gear will be sliding around on the mandrel shaft, and appear to be disconnected - - don't worry - - it's secured by pressure when reassembled. Take note of the position of the washer when you remove the pulley and mandrel shaft. Pay attention, take your time, and you'll do fine.

I wrote an article for the "Sound Box" a couple of years ago on the Type A Graphophones. Great little machines! Have fun with yours - -

George P.

Aaron
Victor II

Post by Aaron »

OrthoSean wrote:It's actually an LP...Charley Hummel always has a stack of them at the show...

That "A" looks great, Aaron! You should post a YouTube video of it playing a brown wax cylinder when you've got it all ready to roll. I see you picked up a bunch of Charley's wax cylinders as well! What is he charging for them these days? I bought some of these from him several years ago...some interesting stuff!

...and Happy belated Birthday!

Sean
Sean,

I got everything except the Shaver and my Model B reproducer (not pictured) from Charley... And i cant tell you the price on the Brown Wax as it was a special price for me ;) And i would love to make some youtube videos!! i need to make a youtube account and borrow my friends camera first... Ill see him this weekend but dont expect the videos this weekend as i am a bit busy but i will make them none the less!!!

George,

When the reproducer is on there are two "prong" like teeth... And maybe you can help us as to why the Shaver decal is so small :?:

P.S. I think the reproducer needs a "going over" and i dont feel like sending it out (sorry Wyatt) can anyone give me a quick "How To" on it?

MORE PICTURES TO COME!!

Aaron

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Aaron wrote:George,

When the reproducer is on there are two "prong" like teeth... And maybe you can help us as to why the Shaver decal is so small :?:
Aaron,
You have a "Heavy Eagle" type reproducer designed for use with 5" machines, although they function on standard models too. That's a nice snag - hang onto it for the day when you buy your "AG" or "AB." The 5" models are often missing their proper reproducers.

As for the small size of the shaver decal, I can be of no help. My guess would be later production of the wooden cabinet model - before the company dropped the cabinet and went to an open metal frame. But that's only a guess.

George P.

richardh

Post by richardh »

Nice haul there Aaron. I sure wish suh great machines were as readily available over here in the UK..you don't know how lucky you are :D

RJ 8-)