Small Machines - Show Us What You've Got...

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Small Machines - Show Us What You've Got...

Post by Curt A »

Alang,
"Sorry if that's a stupid question, but what is a black nickel finish?"

Not a stupid question, I'm not sure how this finish was done. It is correct from the factory, is not painted and I have seen a few other examples like this. If you saw it in person, the only description that comes to mind is "black nickel", since it is shiny like nickel, but black... Maybe someone else has the correct answer. I have seen similar finishes on contemporary office furniture or modern metal furniture.

Alang, James & Andreas - nice machines...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

Here is my Harmony Model 12, one of the large spindle brands out of Chicago. It is about 11 x 11 x 7, excluding the projection of the tone arm support bracket.

Clay
Attachments
Harmony Model 12_03.jpg
Harmony Model 12_01.jpg
Harmony Model 12_00.jpg
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

penman
Victor II

Post by penman »

Curt A wrote:Alang,
"Sorry if that's a stupid question, but what is a black nickel finish?"

Not a stupid question, I'm not sure how this finish was done. It is correct from the factory, is not painted and I have seen a few other examples like this. If you saw it in person, the only description that comes to mind is "black nickel", since it is shiny like nickel, but black... Maybe someone else has the correct answer. I have seen similar finishes on contemporary office furniture or modern metal furniture.

Alang, James & Andreas - nice machines...
I can't be sure but I believe some of the parts are anodized. On my Excelda, the soundbox and tonearm arm appear anodized. The motor parts are clearly painted black.

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

There is a "black nickel" plated finish. I have seen it described as plating with a combination of nickel and tin. In the examples I have seen, there is a depth to it, like a nickel finish, but the color I might describe as like a dark smoky gray. It can be quite striking.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

Clay,
That describes the finish exactly, except the bedplate and inside the cover which appear to be painted. By the way, your Harmony is a great looking machine - I've always liked them.

Anodizing is typically done on aluminum and appears as a "surface" colorant, where this "black nickel" has more depth as Clay mentioned...

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

Of all the small machines that I have, this is my favorite... a George Carrette Bluebird (nickel plated) Kastenpuck (puck with a case).
Carrette et Cie (Carrette and Company) was founded in Nuremberg, Germany by Georges Carette and operated from 1886-1917.
Attachments
Kastenpuck 1.JPG
Kastenpuck 2-adj.jpg
Kastenpuck 3-adj.jpg

My Wife

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

Arionola... I like the decal.
Attachments
Arionola-adj.jpg
Arionola 2-adj.jpg

My Wife

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

Original tinfoil phonograph made by D. Vital and measuring only 6" square. I have the original operating manual, dated 1879 on the cover. This confirms the age (as does the patent) so it's among the earliest phonographs.

Re: black nickel, that process was (and sometimes still is) used for black watch dials. I don't know the specifics of the material but it's clearly a nickel alloy with black rather than silvery tone. Black nickel dials are finished with clear lacquer to protect the surface and add luster. They have remarkable 'depth' as compared to dials finished in enamel.
Attachments
vital.jpg
vital.jpg (46.53 KiB) Viewed 2377 times

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Here's a little guy that seldom gets much notice at my house. It's a phonograph that was patented in the U.S. (No.797,020) by Enoch J. Rector on August 15, 1905 (filed May 28, 1904). Although at first glance it resembles a Q Graphophone, it differs quite a bit from its popular rival.
Rectorphone1.jpg
Rectorphone3.jpg
Originally offered by the Baird-North Company through mail-order, it retailed at $3.50 which included two wax cylinders. This was cheaper than a Q, but there's no comparison as to quality. By 1905, even the market for the Q was shrinking in the U.S., and Rector's phonograph was soon being given away as a premium for selling dyes and the like. As a sales promoter, it was often marketed as the "Echophone" (one of several talking machines over the years to use that name).

Rector's original plan was to have his machines manufactured without a motor. The idea was to clamp the machine to the treadle base of one of the legions of sewing machines in household use at the time. More practical heads prevailed, and the machine (as far as known) was always equipped with a simple single-spring motor.
Rectorphone4.jpg
In order to avoid the wrath of Edison's legal team, Rector avoided using a tapered mandrel; substituting one of flexible spring steel. Does that cylinder record have a hairline crack? Ouch! :(
Rectorphone2.jpg
Today, these Rector phonographs are seldom seen, but I've noticed 3 or 4 at phonograph shows over the years.
Rectorphone5.jpg
Rectorphone6.jpg
Allen Koenigsberg wrote an article on these machines which appeared in the June 2010 issue of The Sound Box (now The Antique Phonograph).

George P.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

Rene, that small tinfoil machine is very cute and also very interesting...

George, your machine is very unusual and you probably weren't aware that is served a dual purpose. It was one of the first multi-function machines, in that it played music in the kitchen and could also be used as an egg beater... :lol:

My Wife