Le0
Victor II
Personal Text: avid 22 years old collector

Re: FEATURED PHONOGRAPH #106

Post by Le0 »

I'd trade my Victor 5 with yours :mrgreen:
Attachments
IMG_2185.jpg
Machines I own: Edison Standard A, suitcase Home, Home A, Triumph A & B, Columbia type BS, Standard Model A, Victor E, IV & V, Pathéphone No.4

Phonolair
Victor III

Post by Phonolair »

The one I owned, had a badly warped top. In fact, two others I have seen over the years had the same problem. I wonder if this was an inherent issue...??.
I can see why the motor board would warp, if you look at the picture of the motor you will see there is no bracing on the underside of the motor board.
That's gorgeous!! It reminds me so much as a large Victor IV. Harvey Kravitz
I agree, it always looked like a beefy overweight Victor IV to me also.
By the way, is the cabinet marked or identified in a catalog or advertisement? I'm interested in how it was identified as a Douglas. :) George P.
The cabinet is not marked in anyway with a makers mark. I call it a Douglas cabinet only because over the years when one of these would show up it was always referenced as a Douglas cabinet by other collectors. Although I have thought that it was kind of plain compared to other Douglas cabinets. I've only seen this cabinet with the Victor V.
I don't mean to be gauche, but what would be a fair value for that very machine ? $ 2000.00 or so?
I can't really answer your question but I've had this one along time and I know prices on Victors have been up and down over the years but I still would not let it go for $2000 or so. :)
I'd trade my Victor 5 with yours :mrgreen:
Tempting but I already have a oak V and like wives I try only to have one at a time. :lol:

Best Regards, Larry

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Phonolair wrote:
The cabinet is not marked in anyway with a makers mark. I call it a Douglas cabinet only because over the years when one of these would show up it was always referenced as a Douglas cabinet by other collectors. Although I have thought that it was kind of plain compared to other Douglas cabinets. I've only seen this cabinet with the Victor V.
The Douglas Phonograph Company was sold in December 1908 to P.A. Powers, so it wasn't around in 1910 or so to manufacture this cabinet. And you're right about the level of decoration seen in documented Douglas cabinets...they can be a bit over the top. :) The cabinet pictured is understated in comparison to known Douglas cabinets. "A large Victor IV" is what it suggests to me too!

So there's a mystery: it's not a Douglas, but there are multiple examples around so it's undoubtedly a retail item. Who made it? :)

George P.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

phonogfp wrote:
Phonolair wrote:
The Douglas Phonograph Company was sold in December 1908 to P.A. Powers, so it wasn't around in 1910 or so to manufacture this cabinet. And you're right about the level of decoration seen in documented Douglas cabinets...they can be a bit over the top. :) The cabinet pictured is understated in comparison to known Douglas cabinets. "A large Victor IV" is what it suggests to me too!

So there's a mystery: it's not a Douglas, but there are multiple examples around so it's undoubtedly a retail item. Who made it? :)

George P.
I was under the impression "these" were a custom order from Victor. Although, I have found nothing to back this up. I sold mine years ago with a warped top and mahogany horn for $5k.One of my many regrets..... :oops: .

Phonolair
Victor III

Post by Phonolair »

The Douglas Phonograph Company was sold in December 1908 to P.A. Powers, so it wasn't around in 1910 or so to manufacture this cabinet.
George P.
I was under the impression "these" were a custom order from Victor. Although, I have found nothing to back this up. I sold mine years ago with a warped top and mahogany horn for $5k.One of my many regrets..... :oops:
Very interesting information George, I guess for now it will stay a mystery as I have no other information on it.

Personally I do not believe the case is a Victor product as the construction differs from most Victor cases I have seen. Example, no braces on the underside of the motor board, no motor board latch to keep the motor board closed and the motor board support is very different from the normal Victor support.
1 VIC V H.jpg
Best Regards, Larry

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

I agree with you, Larry - - it doesn't resemble a Victor product in construction, and by 1910, Victor's cabinet construction was pretty well standardized. :)

George P.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

phonogfp wrote:I agree with you, Larry - - it doesn't resemble a Victor product in construction, and by 1910, Victor's cabinet construction was pretty well standardized. :)

George P.
I have to agree also. However, the use of a "Victor" data plate makes me wonder. Surely Victor would have had to grant the plates use...??. Also the high serial number (s). Were these numbers in conjunction with the oak 5's or another model...??.
My machine was found in Washington State. I have seen one with a NY dealer tag. So, clearly these were sold coast to coast.
I take it George you have not discovered any ephemera regarding these models..??.
Last edited by gramophone78 on Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

gramophone78 wrote:
phonogfp wrote:I agree with you, Larry - - it doesn't resemble a Victor product in construction, and by 1910, Victor's cabinet construction was pretty well standardized. :)

George P.
I have to agree also. However, the use of a "Victor" data plate makes me wonder. Surely Victor would have had grant the plates use...??. Also the high serial number (s). Were these numbers in conjunction with the oak 5's or another model...??.
My machine was found in Washington State. I have seen one with a NY dealer tag. So, clearly these were sold coast to coast.
I take it George you have not discovered any ephemera regarding these models..??.
Victor apparently had no problem with the re-casing of its machines as long as the serial number was not removed. The license notices usually made a point of this.

I have seen no advertisements or other documentation on this particular cabinet.

George P.