When is a Gem D not a Gem D

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
SydneyAde
Victor I

When is a Gem D not a Gem D

Post by SydneyAde »

Hi all

I recently purchased a Gem D on line believing it to be a very well preserved original
as stated in the description and also based on the pics.

I compared this machine to a Gem I had purchased previously and which I also believed to be original. One machine
looks more original than the other, in terms of the pin striping, i.e., by looking closely it looks like transfers have been
used and the colours are also slightly different as can be seen in the pics. I also discovered that the wooden bases are
not original on both machines. It also looks like oil paint had been used.

Is it possible to doctor a standard black Gem to look like maroon Gem with a paint job and changing the registration plates?

I've attached a pic the two machines side by side to see the difference in colour.

One of the machine's cast iron case has the number 906 with a 6 below, while the other machine case has the number 2 with
904 below it.

Sorry about the pic, I tried twice, rotating 180, but keep loading upside down.

The main reason I'm asking is that if and when I sell one or both machines, I would like to provide the information
I believe to be the most accurate.

I’m keen for any feedback.

Ade
Attachments
Gem D Metal Cases - Colour comparison
Gem D Metal Cases - Colour comparison

Victor VI

Re: When is a Gem D not a Gem D

Post by 52089 »

Here you go.
Attachments
Gem D paint.jpg

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

It is difficult to tell from your photos but I don't believe it is possible to convert a C Gem into a D Gem. I would say that in my collection I have a D Gem that was originally painted black. I do not doubt that it was factory painted black and then factory repainted maroon. There are small nicks that reveal black paint both on the body of the machine and the horn. It does not have the typical red Gem look because of the black undercoat. Is this a possibility with your machine? Also, the environment in which the machine was exposed would have an affect on the appearance. How about another try at photos without the shadows? Thanks, Jerry Blais

rgordon939
Victor V

Post by rgordon939 »

Both machines look the same to me with the exception of the missing gear cover. The paint on the lighter colored one certainly looks original to me, but the darker one I would question. It could be as Jerry said but I have never seen one with that deep of a color. Here is a of my Model-D Gem that I bought from a forum member. Here is a suggestion on cleaning your gem. I use McGuires Scratch X 2.0 to polish my machines. It does not hurt the finish at all and leaves a beautiful shine on the finish. I also use it on all my machines regardless of color.

Rich Gordon
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

welshfield
Victor II

Post by welshfield »

The color maroon is very prone to fading. It fades to dark. This is a common problem with antique cars -- especially those that normally sit out in the weather. Some cases, the car appears almost black. Could this be the case with one of yours?
John

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

Ade, I do not know the answer to your question. These are just my visual observations.
Picture 2.png
Picture 2.png (364.06 KiB) Viewed 2182 times
James.

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV
Personal Text: A new blank with authentic formula and spiral core!

Post by edisonphonoworks »

I would say the dark one has been repainted, from what I see.

SydneyAde
Victor I

Post by SydneyAde »

Heya 52089, Jerry, Rich, John, James & EdisonPhonoWorks

Firstly, thank you all for the time and effort you put into answering my question, I am very grateful, but also
mindful that I haven't yet contributed much to assisting anyone in this forum myself yet. I hope that will change
as I transition to retirement in the not too distant future.

I am also amazed at your powers of observation and ability to use technology to support your findings. Having
inspected the darker of the machines again closely, I can fairly confidently say that the pin striping and decals are transfers,
also that the paint which has leaked inside the metal case appears to have dried just like oil paint does when applied
too liberally.

Now the big decision will be whether to leave the machine the way it is, or repaint it to resemble the true Gem maroon.
The only obstacle is, that who ever adhered the pin striping and decals did such a good job I doubt I could improve on it.

Gentlemen, thanks again, heartwarming and truly appreciated - Ade :)

zapper
Victor II

Post by zapper »

Why is the end plate finished at 45 degree angle on the darker machine? Has it been broken in the past and reshaped. I thought the end matched the gear casing over i.e. curved. Just my thoughts. I agree with the other guys. Looks to me as though it has been repainted. Regards

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

zapper wrote:Why is the end plate finished at 45 degree angle on the darker machine? Has it been broken in the past and reshaped. I thought the end matched the gear casing over i.e. curved.
Great job! And that's why there's no gear cover.
A "couldn't see the forest for the trees" example!

James