Featured Phonograph № 15

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Featured Phonograph № 15

Post by Valecnik »

Make: Edison
Model: C19 "Chippendale"
Serial # 87112
Year(s) Made: 1919 - 1927
Original Cost: Initially $285, later $295
Case/Cabinet Size: ~51" x 21" x 22 ½ deep
Turntable/Mandrel: 12"
Reproducer/Sound-Box: Edison Standard
Motor: Double Spring
Horn Dimensions: No. 250
Reproduction Parts: None
Current Value: $350-$500
Interesting Facts: This was essentially a continuation of the C250 model introduced in 1915. Renamed in 1919, the drawers were replaced with slots for 72 records otherwise the cabinets look identical. It's one of the longest running Edison Models.

This was one of my first phonographs. Sounds great, runs like a top. It's in real nice original contition, even has the original grill cloth although somewhat tattered.
IMG_0329.JPG
IMG_0334.JPG
IMG_0330.JPG
IMG_0328.JPG
IMG_0337.JPG
IMG_0339.JPG
I found this somewhere else, note the different S/N.  Anyway it's a nice accessory.
I found this somewhere else, note the different S/N. Anyway it's a nice accessory.
And now listen to it play a nice Georgia Melodians track from 1924!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CMIhIfLEvM[/youtube]
Last edited by Valecnik on Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paal1994
Victor II

Re: Featured Phonograph № 15

Post by Paal1994 »

Bruce,
That's a great looking C19!
How does the adapter sound? I've heard that lots of them give poor results in sound.

Paal.

richardh

Post by richardh »

Thats a great phono Bruce. This is a lovely oak model and has a nicely styled cabinet.....and here was I thinking that most Edison machines were dull to look at being mostly black or dark in colour!

What is this adaptor attachment shown in the box inside the machine? was this an updated reproducer / an upgrade?

Nice touch having the instruction book too.

RJ 8-)
Last edited by richardh on Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

It certainly is an excellent example. I think it's the first C19 I've seen that retains the original grille cloth. I used a maroon cloth on my oak C19, but I quite like the olive green, so I might just change it now I know what should be in the oak model.

1926CredenzaOwner
Victor II

Post by 1926CredenzaOwner »

!
Last edited by 1926CredenzaOwner on Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

richardh wrote:Thats a great phono Bruce. This is a lovely oak model and has a nicely styled cabinet.....and here was I thinking that most Edison machines were dull to look at being mostly back or dark in colour!

What is this adaptor attachment shown in the box inside the machine? was this an updated reproducer / an upgrade?

Nice touch having the instruction book too.

RJ 8-)
Richard, I really don't know why as they went further into the 20's they gravitated towards those drab black colors but certainly you can see they were not all that way! The box is for the extra reproducer an "Orotone" reproducer. You see it laying next to the box. They were for playing lateral and Pathé discs on the diamond disc machine. It is not an Edison product. There were alot of these produced by third parties.

If the box were not 5,000 miles away I would have included a few pics of the instructions that go with it. Very pretty colorful instructions were included with the Orotone.

Paal1994 wrote:Bruce,
That's a great looking C19!
How does the adapter sound? I've heard that lots of them give poor results in sound.

Paal.
Paal, you heard right. Granted the reproducer has never been rebuilt so that would undoubtedly help but I've had several of these after market reproducers and found them all quite unremarkable as compared even to a Victor Exhibition, even unrestored. I would not know how to go about restoring one. Perhaps someone here can comment.
gramophoneshane wrote:It certainly is an excellent example. I think it's the first C19 I've seen that retains the original grille cloth. I used a maroon cloth on my oak C19, but I quite like the olive green, so I might just change it now I know what should be in the oak model.
I just saw someone on eBAY advertising some pieces of light weight olive green silk, as close to the original as I've seen. Not sure if anyone else saw it and could point him out. I don't know if it sold. It was not expensive.
Last edited by Valecnik on Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

Lovely machine! The Oro-tone really is a conversation piece, though. I have always wanted to find one of the Edison converters that they offered with the early DD machines. At least I think some of them got on the market. Frow states that the company got second thoughts about offering them lest they cut into the DD sales.
Jim

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

Two Edison Features in a row, nice! :-)

A nice example to spotlight. Thank you for sharing!

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

I once owned this nearly perfect C-250 that I picked up at the Long Beach Flea Market for only $100. The grill cloth was original and intact. I came home one day to find our housekeeper had run a mop handle right through the grill cloth! I don't even want to tell you what she finally did that made me have to fire her but it involved slowly turning in order to dust (and unscrewing in the process) a 42" wide, five-lantern, hand-hammered copper and glass Heinemann Brothers electrolier, an Albert Berry hand-hammered copper bowl, an ooze-leather poppy table pad, a Gustav Stickley dining room table, and Newton's first, second and third laws of gravity!

John M
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan