Anyone recognize this cabinet?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
JohnM
Victor V

Anyone recognize this cabinet?

Post by JohnM »

Found this cabinet yesterday . . . does anyone recognize it as a phonograph cabinet? Please ignore the miniature dresser on top. Legs are sawed off. The wreath decoration is lyre-shaped, but no 'strings' or crossbar. The back panel has been cut in two even with the top and the other half used to close up the opening in the top board. There is a piece of metal tubing the correct size to fit a rubber listening tube(?) embedded in the portion that is covering the opening, but it doesn't go all the way through; also a few holes to mount something. Shadow lines of a wood-framed glass top(?) evident. Legs are wood, no shelves inside, two ½" holes horizontal in back board inside cabinet. Back legs are plain so it was made to sit against a wall. Weird. If it isn't phono, what is it? Anyone?

John M
Last edited by JohnM on Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

Aaron
Victor II

Re: Anyone recognize this cabinet?

Post by Aaron »

It the cabinate of an Edison Coin Op... I believe an Eclipse.....

Aaron

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

No, buddy . . . not quite the same cabinet as an Eclipse. I've never seen one like this before. Don't want to say anymore to color anyone's opinions either way. Thanks though for sure! John
Last edited by JohnM on Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Eureka! I have found it! The Edison Cylinder Phonographs by Frow & Sefl, pg. 117. Class M cabinet ca. 1905. I was wrong, the legs are not sawn off! I am now accepting offers on this cabinet. Please pm me if interested.
Thanks! John

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Here are more detailed images showing areas that will require restoration. Cabinet finish is original, but darkened from age. Nice golden color lurks beneath and should reveal without full stripping.

Front view of cabinet:

Lower view of front of cabinet:

New lock installed so hole will need filled and patched:

Strike area for lock will need to be restored:

Besides the lock area, this is the worst part . . . a 1-½" section of the front trim under the top board hacked out. Not a difficult repair and in a relatively inconspicuous place to boot:

The back board has been sawed into two pieces flush with the top board and used to cover the hole in the top. Also, a notch hacked out (I believe that something was clamped here at one time when the cabinet was no longer a Phonograph that necessitated removing the trim section below as well):

Outside of those issues and a missing cover the cabinet is very solid with only normal minor wear and tear.

Here is a scan of the page from the Frow/Sefl book showing what this cabinet used to/will someday look like:

Call if interested Eight-one-two-two-six-five-five-nine-one-three

John M

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

Oops! :shock: :? Now that you know what it is, I'm sure the price will be affected!
Best regards ... AZ*

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

It wasn't for sale until I knew precisely what I had!
John M

Aaron
Victor II

Post by Aaron »

If i had the money i would but it..... :( Being that i am only 15 i think i have the time to find the parts to complete it.... :D but again it comes down to money.... :cry: Would you like to tell us(or just me) what you think is a fair price? :?:

Best Regards,
Aaron

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Aaron,
I'm a collector, not a dealer. This is a rare cabinet and I know of no precedent for a valuation, other than what I have seen other cabinets priced, but since they were different cabinets that is apples and oranges. I also believe something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Since this is a project and an empty cabinet, that complicates things as well, and since I am selling it in a last-man-standing auction situation right now, I decline to state a value for all the above reasons.

John M

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

JohnM wrote:Aaron,
I'm a collector, not a dealer. This is a rare cabinet and I know of no precedent for a valuation, other than what I have seen other cabinets priced, but since they were different cabinets that is apples and oranges. I also believe something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Since this is a project and an empty cabinet, that complicates things as well, and since I am selling it in a last-man-standing auction situation right now, I decline to state a value for all the above reasons.

John M
where is the auction? ebay? or are you just doing it privately? if so, is there any timeframe for it? or are you just waiting until you get an offer that sounds decent enough?

just wondering.