Cygnet horn hangers

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Cygnet horn hangers

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

In the restoration of my Edison Fireside Model A, I have had to deal with cygnet horns for the first time. Those things are kind of weird, honestly. Right now, with most of the elbow paint gone and the bell very dusty & rusty, it is known as the "ugly horn" by my family...looking to change that.

Anyhow, I need to know what the original Edison hanger hardware looks like. I have a crane that drboruff (David) said was a replica, but it looks awful rusty and might be the real thing. The machine has an angled carriage for the old K reproducers.

What should the hanger look like for a Fireside A of that configuration, and do they still make it anymore?

Herman
Victor II

Re: Cygnet horn hangers

Post by Herman »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:In the restoration of my Edison Fireside Model A, I have had to deal with cygnet horns for the first time. Those things are kind of weird, honestly. Right now, with most of the elbow paint gone and the bell very dusty & rusty, it is known as the "ugly horn" by my family...looking to change that.

Anyhow, I need to know what the original Edison hanger hardware looks like. I have a crane that drboruff (David) said was a replica, but it looks awful rusty and might be the real thing. The machine has an angled carriage for the old K reproducers.

What should the hanger look like for a Fireside A of that configuration, and do they still make it anymore?
There are 2 types.
1: Swivel ball attached to the horn with a hole for a suspension spring
2; Adjustment rod attached to the horn with a swivel ball.

Reproductions can be had from the usual suppliers. Original will cost you closer to $100.00
Attachments
hgr2.jpg
hgr.jpg

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Also be aware that the crane differs in the lower rod, depending on whether a horizonatl or angled carriage is being used. The lower rod for an angled carriage has less "step back" than the one used for a horizontal carriage.

George P.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Sitko sells nice reproductions with all the hardware. Just tell him the model and carriage/reproducer.

Jerry B.