My New Claxtonola - With a 'What Is It?'

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Re: My New Claxtonola - With a 'What Is It?'

Post by CDBPDX »

I rebuilt the reproducer and cleaned up the tone arm. Looks and sounds a lot better!

Cliff
Attachments
tn-600_Claxtonola_2002.JPG
tn-600_Claxtonola_2001.JPG
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8

CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Post by CDBPDX »

Before and after pics - rebuilt the reproducer and cleaned up the tone arm and base.
Attachments
Claxtonola_Before-After_0001.JPG

EarlH
Victor III

Post by EarlH »

I had a Claxtonola 35-40 years ago that had that same automatic stop. My Dad and I pulled it out of an abandoned farmhouse that was falling down and it seems like the guy that owned the place charged us $2 for it. It had a lot of records with it, but I do remember that thing had some big rubber thing some way on it that was supposed to be what hit the turntable as the brake. It was hard and sounded like a pistol shot when the thing was triggered. I have no recollection anymore of what happened to thing thing, but more than likely Dad sold it as I don't remember it being around for long. I still have some of the Claxtonola records that came with it. They used to be considered kind of scarce but the internet has sure changed a lot of stuff and maybe those records have come out of the woodwork since then...

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

Looks very nice! That Heineman tone arm and reproducer really shined up well.

The Clax... was a good machine, I think it also used the double spring Heineman 77 motor.

I saw one for sale a while back, nice machine but I already have a Magnola, and that is enough independent brand for me.

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

Maybe you should find some Claxtonola records to go with it! :D edisonplayer

apruizii
Victor II

Post by apruizii »

Hi Cliff,

I also recently picked up a Claxtonola. The cabinet looks very similar to yours, but it has a different grill, reproducer, auto stop mechanism, and the decal has "Golden Throated" on the top of "Claxtonola" and "Trade Mark" under it. And the only serial number I see is on top of the motor board, 20582. Do you know if the reproducer, tone arm, and auto stop mechanism are original to my machine? Based on the discussions from this thread and posted ads and the the decal, mine was probably manufactured post October 1919. Also what did you use to get the tone arm to shine like that? It looks really nice!

I've included some photos...I took out the motor and it looks very clean and runs very smoothly. It was completely serviced by a shop in Vermont about 5 years ago.

Thanks,

AR
Attachments
20180911_185943.jpg
20180911_190532.jpg
20180911_190259_001.jpg
20180911_190155.jpg

CDBPDX
Victor V

Post by CDBPDX »

apruizii wrote:Hi Cliff,

I also recently picked up a Claxtonola. The cabinet looks very similar to yours, but it has a different grill, reproducer, auto stop mechanism, and the decal has "Golden Throated" on the top of "Claxtonola" and "Trade Mark" under it. And the only serial number I see is on top of the motor board, 20582. Do you know if the reproducer, tone arm, and auto stop mechanism are original to my machine? Based on the discussions from this thread and posted ads and the the decal, mine was probably manufactured post October 1919. Also what did you use to get the tone arm to shine like that? It looks really nice!

I've included some photos...I took out the motor and it looks very clean and runs very smoothly. It was completely serviced by a shop in Vermont about 5 years ago.

Thanks,

AR
The shop in St Johnsbury, Vermont is a good shop. They did some work for me in 2012, before I started doing my own machines in 2013.

I use FLITZ polish. It really works great on metal, enameled, and fiberglass surfaces. Kind of expensive, but a great product, usually available in marine supply stores.

I am not sure what is original on Claxtonola machines. Over the years of their production, I believe they acquired their phonograph hardware from different suppliers. My machine was the first model they produced and has the A NEW DAY logo. I don't think that logo lasted very long, likely changed to GOLDEN THROATED immediately after the first machines were introduced.

I have seen a few Claxtonola machines and they have all had very nice cabinets.

Congratulations on your new phonograph!

Cliff

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

Do you have any Claxtonola records to go with it?edisonplayer

apruizii
Victor II

Post by apruizii »

Cliff,

Thanks for the information on the Claxtonola and the polishing tip!

AR

apruizii
Victor II

Post by apruizii »

edisonplayer,

No, I don't have any Claxtonola records.