Edison Triumph Model A restoration

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Le0
Victor II
Personal Text: avid 22 years old collector

Edison Triumph Model A restoration

Post by Le0 »

Hi, I thought you would all like to follow the course of the restoration of my Triumph.
ok it's time to roll up my sleeves as there's some work to be done:
1- fix the case as a previous owner thought it would be smart to fit handles on the sides and the "columns" cracked in a couple places during shipping;
2- fully rebuild the motor (the governor is almost completely missing but otherwise it looks sound);
3- rebuild the bead plate/upper works (the tiny arrow speed indicator is gone, one half nut is gone and the gold lining is faint);
4- dig out the broken part of the hinge block in the reproducer and then rebuild it;
5- straighten the crank handle

so far I removed the motor an bead plate from the case, added penetrating oil to all screws and shafts that might be stuck, I straightened the crank and I also emailed a friend about the case as I don't know much about wood stuff.

now some pictures as words are boring and images exciting!
ImageImageImage
https://plus.google.com/photos/11110469 ... banner=pwa
Last edited by Le0 on Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Machines I own: Edison Standard A, suitcase Home, Home A, Triumph A & B, Columbia type BS, Standard Model A, Victor E, IV & V, Pathéphone No.4

Andersun
Victor III

Re: Edison Triumph Model A restoration

Post by Andersun »

Looks like a nice original machine! Should clean up real well. Be careful when cleaning the nameplate.

Steve

Le0
Victor II

Post by Le0 »

thanks for the warning... the paint is really thin indeed.

today I dismantled the motor. it's all filthy but OK. just one more stubborn pinion and the hefty springs to undo.
(no need for warning about the springs... I know what it looks like when you pull them off)

now on to the pictures:
ImageImageImage
Machines I own: Edison Standard A, suitcase Home, Home A, Triumph A & B, Columbia type BS, Standard Model A, Victor E, IV & V, Pathéphone No.4

Le0
Victor II

Post by Le0 »

motor is clean and I glued all cracks. I also started cleaning the lid.
it should look presentable once I'm done with it.
IMG_1901.JPG
anyone wants to see the progress?
I'll just stop feeding this thread otherwise.

Dave
Victor II
Personal Text: Gramophonist

Post by Dave »

As a Triumph owner myself, I'm very interested in what your doing.
I hope you will continue to show us your progress.

flashpanblue
Victor III

Post by flashpanblue »

Hi Leo,
I love the green oak model A Triumphs. I have one like yours with the sharp square edge corner columns and one with the rounded corner columns. I really like the contrast on the " before and after" cleaning of the lid. I am interested in seeing how you handle the repair of the holes drilled in the sides of the case. you could fill the holes with oak doweling but the grain in the doweling might not run in the right direction. You may have to make your own oak plugs. Did you remove and grease your springs or did you send them out to get done?
Pete

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

Hello Leo

Keep posting ! 186 people have viewed , just because they haven't repiled doesn't mean they're not interested !

snallast
Victor II

Post by snallast »

Yes please keep posting! Great phonograph!
hakan

Le0
Victor II

Post by Le0 »

allrigh, allright... I'll continue to update this thread. ;)
flashpanblue wrote:Hi Leo,
I love the green oak model A Triumphs. I have one like yours with the sharp square edge corner columns and one with the rounded corner columns. I really like the contrast on the " before and after" cleaning of the lid. I am interested in seeing how you handle the repair of the holes drilled in the sides of the case. you could fill the holes with oak doweling but the grain in the doweling might not run in the right direction. You may have to make your own oak plugs. Did you remove and grease your springs or did you send them out to get done?
Pete
I do all the work myself.

I thought about making plugs out of a worthless Grafonola case but the guy who's helping me with the wood stuff said I'd be better using filler and then matching the color with stain. they're 3/16 diameter.

I recommand releasing the springs in a bucket otherwise the sharp springs will just fly in your face. then you scrub, scrub, scrub... untill all the gunk is gone. putting them back in is is the fun part as they need to be greased first and you have to keep a firm grip wile you work it in, inch by inch starting by the outer end.

I'll try to get someone to take pictures while I wrestle with the springs.

debndunk
Victor I

Post by debndunk »

Hi, I'm very interested in what your doing as I did the same to my Triumph A a few months ago, although my case was in bits on arrival. Your case will look great when finished. Good luck with the springs I chickened out of doing mine but I now wished I had. Gordon