Edison "shock proof" Governor used on C-250's

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
martinola
Victor III

Re: Edison "shock proof" Governor used on C-250's

Post by martinola »

fran604g wrote:
Why would he use these 2 examples that are probably 9 years (or even possibly as many as 11 years) apart from each other? And especially if the governor hadn't been invented yet?
While I can't answer for Mr. Frow, I do know that when I'm trying to wrap-up a long project, the last thing I'm thinking about are the illustrations. For me it's rather a mad scramble to find proper photos. Very often it is easier to settle for what one can get easily (as in your own collection) than coordinate with getting photos from others. Add in the possibility that he likely didn't do the lay-out of the book himself and you'll have even more potential for contradictions to creep in. With printed hard copies of books, once the error is in you're pretty much stuck with it. At least with online publishing, it's easier to correct stuff like that. I'm sure with the C250/C19 project you're getting a taste of that yourself. Fran, I applaud your efforts to give us a clearer idea of the details. Keep up the good work!

Martin

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

martinola wrote:
fran604g wrote:
Why would he use these 2 examples that are probably 9 years (or even possibly as many as 11 years) apart from each other? And especially if the governor hadn't been invented yet?
While I can't answer for Mr. Frow, I do know that when I'm trying to wrap-up a long project, the last thing I'm thinking about are the illustrations. For me it's rather a mad scramble to find proper photos. Very often it is easier to settle for what one can get easily (as in your own collection) than coordinate with getting photos from others. Add in the possibility that he likely didn't do the lay-out of the book himself and you'll have even more potential for contradictions to creep in. With printed hard copies of books, once the error is in you're pretty much stuck with it. At least with online publishing, it's easier to correct stuff like that. I'm sure with the C250/C19 project you're getting a taste of that yourself. Fran, I applaud your efforts to give us a clearer idea of the details. Keep up the good work!

Martin
Thank you, Martin! You give great advice.

I am thoroughly confused... :lol:

I say that half joking, but as I progress with my research, established facts become less clear to me.

Best,
Fran
Last edited by fran604g on Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Fran, Is it true that the first C-19s have record drawers like the C-250s, and only changed over to shelves later? Also are oak cabinets more common on the C-250s than on the C-19s?

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

marcapra wrote:Fran, Is it true that the first C-19s have record drawers like the C-250s, and only changed over to shelves later? Also are oak cabinets more common on the C-250s than on the C-19s?
Yes, it's true.

I've seen C-19's with drawers, but I haven't seen any C-250's with shelves and vertical slots. The change to shelves with vertical slots was actually pretty early in the production of the C-19, and may have been just prior to the April 1919 debut noted by Frow.

In my research, oak cabinets were more common with the C-19. About 33% of the C-19's I have recorded were oak, as opposed to only about 20% of the C-250's. The C19's make up about 53% of the 225 Chippendales I've encountered. However, slightly more C-19's were produced overall.

EDIT: According to my research, about 185,000 Chippendales were produced with about 74,000 of them being C-250's. That means about 40% of all the Chippendales produced were C-250's.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.