C19 motor noise

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
BwanaJoe
Victor II

C19 motor noise

Post by BwanaJoe »

I just cleaned, greased and oiled the motor according the service manual. I put the motor back in the cabinet and got the feed rack adjusted. When I tested it I ended up with a noise. Of course I don't remember this noise from testing it in the garage at the place I bought it from! It is quieter with the turn table off the motor. It gets less when you adjust the speed down. No nasty thumping or grinding when I wind the springs. Thoughts?

http://youtu.be/p8f5dNSREQM

THANKS,

Joe

Edit: if you press sideways on the spindle the noise changes. Gear problem maybe?
Last edited by BwanaJoe on Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Re: C19 motor noise

Post by gramophone78 »

Here's a suggestion....if you keep all your questions pertaining to your C19 in one thread.....it would be easier to follow... ;) :).
Last edited by gramophone78 on Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

BwanaJoe wrote:I just cleaned, greased and oiled the motor according the service manual. I put the motor back in the cabinet and got the feed rack adjusted. When I tested it I ended up with a noise. Of course I don't remember this noise from testing it in the garage at the place I bought it from! It is quieter with the turn table off the motor. It gets less when you adjust the speed down. No nasty thumping or grinding when I wind the springs. Thoughts?

THANKS,

Joe

I'm not so sure you've got a problem there. I've had quite a few of these and most have "some" motor noise such as I heard in your video. It was probably there from the start and you just did not notice.?

BwanaJoe
Victor II

Post by BwanaJoe »

gramophone78 wrote:Here's a suggestion....if you keep all your questions pertaining to your C19 in one thread.....it would be easier to follow... ;) :).
True, but I post as I find them! Plus then I'd never have it together. ;)
Last edited by BwanaJoe on Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BwanaJoe
Victor II

Post by BwanaJoe »

Valecnik wrote:
BwanaJoe wrote:I just cleaned, greased and oiled the motor according the service manual. I put the motor back in the cabinet and got the feed rack adjusted. When I tested it I ended up with a noise. Of course I don't remember this noise from testing it in the garage at the place I bought it from! It is quieter with the turn table off the motor. It gets less when you adjust the speed down. No nasty thumping or grinding when I wind the springs. Thoughts?

THANKS,

Joe

I'm not so sure you've got a problem there. I've had quite a few of these and most have "some" motor noise such as I heard in your video. It was probably there from the start and you just did not notice.?
Very possible but since this is my first machine I'm not sure.

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

Hi Joe, One of the more common causes for motor noise as well as playing issues is the governor. If the governor assembly is too loose in its bearings it could chug a tiny bit while running. With the motor completely wound down reach inside the motor compartment and gently grasp the governor assembly and evaluate its movement within its bearings. There should be just a teeny bit of side to side "play". Not too loose and not too tight. I have seen some spring wound phonograph motors with a lot of governor play between the bearings and they tended to produce noise while running. This is especially true for some of the earliest Diamond Disc motors (B-60, A-80, B-80). This may not be the cause but it's good to check out anyway. You may also have loosened a governor weight. Doubtful but possible so check those as well. Assure that you have lubricated all the metal to metal movement spots as well. If everything appears to be fine then it may simply be caused by normal wear but I have found that most of the later Diamond Disc motors are usually pretty quiet so I'm thinking something is still not quite right with yours according to the video.

Best,
Doug

BwanaJoe
Victor II

Post by BwanaJoe »

Thanks for the heads up and advice.

I checked the end play and you can't see it move but you can hear it click. The weights are screwed in fully. I hit every oil point with a needle tipped clock oil applicator. I also re-greased all of the gears in that area with the CRC on a brush. Still ticking.

Could the weights be out of alignment?

It still sounds as if it may be from the spindle area but I can't be sure.

It does change tone when the arm is lowered. Still ticks consistently though.
FellowCollector wrote:Hi Joe, One of the more common causes for motor noise as well as playing issues is the governor. If the governor assembly is too loose in its bearings it could chug a tiny bit while running. With the motor completely wound down reach inside the motor compartment and gently grasp the governor assembly and evaluate its movement within its bearings. There should be just a teeny bit of side to side "play". Not too loose and not too tight. I have seen some spring wound phonograph motors with a lot of governor play between the bearings and they tended to produce noise while running. This is especially true for some of the earliest Diamond Disc motors (B-60, A-80, B-80). This may not be the cause but it's good to check out anyway. You may also have loosened a governor weight. Doubtful but possible so check those as well. Assure that you have lubricated all the metal to metal movement spots as well. If everything appears to be fine then it may simply be caused by normal wear but I have found that most of the later Diamond Disc motors are usually pretty quiet so I'm thinking something is still not quite right with yours according to the video.

Best,
Doug

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

I had a noisy motor on my william and mary console. I tried to adjust the governor with not much improvement. Finally I noted a hint in the edison manual for repair men, it said some times the lower spindle gear that drives the assembly may need a slight adjustment. I loosened the set screw and turned the large bolt on the bottom of the spindle a hair tighter and it cleared it up. ( I should have the manual in front of me as I don't have the technical names for the parts). Check that manual under noisy motors and maybe that might help?

Larry

BwanaJoe
Victor II

Post by BwanaJoe »

Thanks, I'll give that try.

Unfortunately, I tried the governor fix in the service manual and the turn table slowed waaaay down. I then tried to reverse the procedure with no luck. I then adjusted the speed control to go faster and governor plate hit the speed lever. Aaaahhhhhh! So, then I slide the governor on the shaft to the left to clear the lever when it spins up. No it only occasionally hits the lever. And the noise is still there. And I thought British cars were bad.
larryh wrote:I had a noisy motor on my william and mary console. I tried to adjust the governor with not much improvement. Finally I noted a hint in the edison manual for repair men, it said some times the lower spindle gear that drives the assembly may need a slight adjustment. I loosened the set screw and turned the large bolt on the bottom of the spindle a hair tighter and it cleared it up. ( I should have the manual in front of me as I don't have the technical names for the parts). Check that manual under noisy motors and maybe that might help?

Larry

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Wear in the spindle bearings, perhaps?

Bill