VV-XVIII on ebay...

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

VV-XVIII on ebay...

Post by brianu »

I'm sure at least some of you must have been watching this one... any idea where it might be headed?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... escription

Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Re: VV-XVIII on ebay...

Post by Edisonfan »

Aparently, $2,878.28.

That's a lot of money for a victrola.

Paul

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Not for a Victrola XVIII in that condition! That was a nice buy at that price. Not many of these were produced and this one looks to be quite nice. These machines usually (at least in better market conditions) used to bring $3000 plus at shows.

Sean

Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Post by Edisonfan »

Really? I did not know that Sean. Thank You!

Paul

brianu
Victor V

Post by brianu »

hey sean - sorry I missed you at the wayne show, I owe you a call.

I guess the price wasn't bad - the last one I remember seeing sold for about $3500 through a phonograph dealer about four years ago, although the condition was a bit better. it's just funny how some things seem to consistently sell for such prices while those of other more common models seem to fluctuate with the market... which is what made me wonder where this machine might be headed any way - whether abroad or here, and whether to a collector or an accumulator with one of those rooms full of rows and aisles and stacks of machines.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Man, I would love an XVIII, that would basically complete my list of "Victors I'd Like To Own" hah, but timing and money just weren't in sync right now. I'm in the (slow) process of converting my old home office into a small machine / music room just to free up some space in the rest of the house. I still wouldn't really have room for one of these, but I'd manage like I always seem to.

Give me a shout Brian...you know when I'm home!

Sean

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

A separate XVIII on eBay in Fullerton, CA... was listed as a "Victor 18", so may have been missed in searches...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0387485875

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

phonophan79 wrote:A separate XVIII on eBay in Fullerton, CA... was listed as a "Victor 18", so may have been missed in searches...

The seller is Pat Jones of Jones' Mercantile in Fullerton. He's a longtime phono collector/dealer of some reknown in Southern California.

John M
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

brianu
Victor V

Post by brianu »

JohnM wrote:
phonophan79 wrote:A separate XVIII on eBay in Fullerton, CA... was listed as a "Victor 18", so may have been missed in searches...

The seller is Pat Jones of Jones' Mercantile in Fullerton. He's a longtime phono collector/dealer of some reknown in Southern California.

John M
so speaking of that other XVIII...

... it didn't sell with an opening bid of $2250? I recognize that it has some minor issues, some nicks and scratches, but I don't get its failure to sell at that price given all the bidding on the other machine, which ended at close to $3000. is this just another example of ebay inconsistencies? or am I missing something with this victor?

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

brianu wrote:... it didn't sell with an opening bid of $2250? I recognize that it has some minor issues, some nicks and scratches, but I don't get its failure to sell at that price given all the bidding on the other machine, which ended at close to $3000. is this just another example of ebay inconsistencies? or am I missing something with this victor?
Well, it could just be "the economy"... I think the seller poorly listed this item "Victrola 18 Phonograph" when should have been something like "Victor Victrola VV-XVIII phonograph / gramophone" or something like that. ;-)