Standard Talking Machine Phonograph

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Standard Talking Machine Phonograph

Post by Edisonfan »

This past Tuesday, I went wandering through New Oxford PA., and found a Standard external horn phonograph. The dealer wanted $550.00 for the machine. I was a bit tempted to buy it, but since I already bought another Edison machine, I had to pass it up. It was in very good condtion, however, the reproducer might need some repair. I should have tested it out, but I didn't. Cest la vie. ;)

Paul
Last edited by Edisonfan on Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Standard Phonograph

Post by gramophoneshane »

Paul,
Unless prices of Standards have gone up over there lately, I think it's probably over-priced.
The exception might be if it's an early suitcase model, or prehaps if it had 2/4 min gearing, a diamond B reproducer & cygnet horn, it could be worth $550.
If it's just like a common Standard B with witches hat horn, I'd think you'd get one a lot cheaper.

Edisonfan
Victor V

Re: Standard Talking Machine Phonograph

Post by Edisonfan »

Sorry Shane, I should have been more specific. I meant it's a Standard Disc Phonograph, from the Standard Talking Machine Company. Not and Edison Standard machine.

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

Yes, specifically the Standard "Model A"... maybe a little overpriced, but not crazy overpriced.

Here is one that recently sold on eBay for $455.00.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0145948935

And here is my YouTube demonstration... :D
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oueyDn6p4a4[/youtube]

Edisonfan
Victor V

Post by Edisonfan »

Very nice machine. Although I noticed the spindle on your machine is normal sized. Where the one I saw had the larger spindle.

Paul

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

Edisonfan wrote:Very nice machine. Although I noticed the spindle on your machine is normal sized. Where the one I saw had the larger spindle.

Paul
Correct Paul... the one in my video has been replaced with a normal size. I have a few "Standard" records I've never been able to play! :-)

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

Just as a side note...

There is a Standard Model B on eBay right now, this model... this internal horn model, not nearly as attractive as the Model A, is scarcely seen.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0400000176

Also, the most rare of all the Standards, the Model AA open works phonograph
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0338778206

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

phonophan79 wrote:And here is my YouTube demonstration... :D
Nice machine and very steady playback speed. Just something I've been asking myself, did you put that late record intentionally on it or was it just the one you had at hand?

Norman

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

WDC wrote:
phonophan79 wrote:And here is my YouTube demonstration... :D
Nice machine and very steady playback speed. Just something I've been asking myself, did you put that late record intentionally on it or was it just the one you had at hand?

Norman
Thank you, Norman!

A little bit of both... I was looking for a record that I enjoyed... and it was on hand. :-)

I made that video over a year ago, I have since learned that specific record was electrically recorded and not meant to be played on the heavy steel needle acoustic machines... but hey, I still enjoyed the demonstration and the song. :-)

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

phonophan79 wrote: Thank you, Norman!

A little bit of both... I was looking for a record that I enjoyed... and it was on hand. :-)

I made that video over a year ago, I have since learned that specific record was electrically recorded and not meant to be played on the heavy steel needle acoustic machines... but hey, I still enjoyed the demonstration and the song. :-)
Actually it's the best way to test a rebuilt reproducer. You take a nice and loud record from the 50's (preferably not one you do care much about) and play it with a soft or even medium tone needle. If this goes fine, your reproducer is absolutely blast-proof! ;)