Featured Phonograph No. 112 "unknown maker"

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
briankeith
Victor IV
Personal Text: Jeepster

Re: Featured Phonograph No. 112 "unknown maker"

Post by briankeith »

That's why I love this forum - everyone helping me determine the origin of this beautiful machine :) Tonight after work I will attempt to take the machine apart again-photos of the spring motor. (and the reproducer) I assure everyone there is no name or paper tags on the inside or the underside of the cabinet,, and only a tiny serial number stamped into the spring motor plate. I picked up this machine very cheaply and all it needed was a good cleaning and re-greasing. I love the inlay - makes for a very nice looker compared to the plain & simple Victor VV-IV. Again, thanks for all your input as you know my main area of collecting talking machines is the "off-brands" a lot of us seem to ignore :roll:

tinovanderzwan
Victor II

Post by tinovanderzwan »

gramophone78 wrote:Getting back to Brian's machine......After looking over your pics closer, I am of the opinion the (Apollo) reproducer is of a slightly later date.
Therefore, we can not use this reproducer to determine the origin of the machine.

It is clearly of European origin and unless there are any marks, stamps, etc.... found inside....it may be difficult to ascertain the exact maker.

As Soundgen has suggested, posting further pics of the motor and or markings may help in the identification.
i agree on the reproducer it should be a mica one
paillard maestrophone maestoso.JPG

as for my information its based on the many many machines i repaired over the last 25 years and i found linstrom stamps in many of the exported machines exported to the uk, france and the usa that originally came from germanny or switzerland
as for the paper trail thats a difficult thing since germany had to indure world war 2 and lots of brands like f.i. beka and parlophone have incomplete historical documentation because of it

tino

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

"tinovanderzwan"
as for my information its based on the many many machines i repaired over the last 25 years and i found linstrom stamps in many of the exported machines exported to the uk, france and the usa that originally came from germanny or switzerland
as for the paper trail thats a difficult thing since germany had to indure world war 2 and lots of brands like f.i. beka and parlophone have incomplete historical documentation because of it

tino
Tino, I can assure you at no time did Paillard have anything to do with Lindstrom (not Linstrom) or vise versa. Most importantly... Paillard did not use Lindstrom to export their products.

I would strongly recommend using a different approach learning the history of a company and it's practices. Instead of creating "your" idea of a company's history and practices solely based on machines you have repaired... ;).

Such as period documentation, advertisements, catalog's, etc.....

Paillard's records (paper trail) being in Switzerland, were not affected by either war 1 or 2.... :? .

Posting misinformation can be damaging to young impressionable collectors .

It would be best to use pics of your own items, rather then posting from the internet items belonging to others. Many times a pic is innocently mislabel by the owner of the item, which can lead to further misinformation.
There can also be copyright issues and more importantly upsetting the owner of the item when found posted to incorrect information.

I know if I found any of my pics misused like this....I would not be happy.

tinovanderzwan
Victor II

Post by tinovanderzwan »

gramophone78 wrote:
"tinovanderzwan"

tino
Tino, I can assure you at no time did Paillard have anything to do with Lindstrom (not Linstrom) or vise versa. Most importantly... Paillard did not use Lindstrom to export their products.

I would strongly recommend using a different approach learning the history of a company and it's practices. Instead of creating "your" idea of a company's history and practices solely based on machines you have repaired... ;).

Such as period documentation, advertisements, catalog's, etc.....

Paillard's records (paper trail) being in Switzerland, were not affected by either war 1 or 2.... :? .

Posting misinformation can be damaging to young impressionable collectors .

It would be best to use pics of your own items, rather then posting from the internet items belonging to others. Many times a pic is innocently mislabel by the owner of the item, which can lead to further misinformation.
There can also be copyright issues and more importantly upsetting the owner of the item when found posted to incorrect information.

I know if I found any of my pics misused like this....I would not be happy.
1 lets agree to disagree on the lindstrom thing (in parts)
2 you put me down as some sort of copyright criminal iv'e seen plenty of ebay pics on this forum and those are in ownership of both ebay and the seller so basically that means everyone on this forum is a pirate
3 putting somebody down on his/her spelling isn't nice since some people can't help it in my case i'm dyslectic
4 on the part of paillard i might be wrong that however doesn't mean that i'm wrong on the other points
5 this forum is here so we can enjoy our hobby together not to bash each others heads in with nasty accusations
keep it friendly

is ok to have a scientific discussion with that i mean i'm searching for data being right or wrong isn't important if you prove me wrong that means i learned something it also means that everyone has the right to an opinion and has the right to a theory based on field work

i hope to discuss (this or other)matters on a milder note in the future

tino