Triumph A Versus Triumph B Question

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Triumph A Versus Triumph B Question

Post by JerryVan »

I have a very nice Banner Case, Triumph Model A with a typical Model A upper works,(i.e. sharp, square corners, ball type end latch, etc.) Serial number is approx. 41XXX

I also have what appears to be a Model B Triumph, with a typical B style cabinet. The upper works however look like the earlier Model A style, as described above. Serial number is approx. 43XXX, (I'll double check that number as I'm going from memory, which I shouldn't do.)

Did early B's have A style upper works? It's a 2 min. only machine. This B machine looks very untampered with.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Triumph A Versus Triumph B Question

Post by phonogfp »

JerryVan wrote:I have a very nice Banner Case, Triumph Model A with a typical Model A upper works,(i.e. sharp, square corners, ball type end latch, etc.) Serial number is approx. 41XXX

I also have what appears to be a Model B Triumph, with a typical B style cabinet. The upper works however look like the earlier Model A style, as described above. Serial number is approx. 43XXX, (I'll double check that number as I'm going from memory, which I shouldn't do.)

Did early B's have A style upper works? It's a 2 min. only machine. This B machine looks very untampered with.
The last of the Model A Triumphs were sold with the cabinet we associate with the Model B. This occurred roughly from No.45,000 - No.50,000. :)

George P.

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

According to Frow,

Triumph models A, B & C were all solely 2-Minute models. A 2/4 Combination was available at an extra cost and could have been added to the machines. It wasn't until the Triumph "D" model in 1908 that the 2/4 Combination came together standard as new on the phonograph when sold new without having to buy a "2/4 Combination Attachment" as before. 1908 it says was also the first year that they openly offered The newer Triumph Model "C" cases for people wanting to upgrade to a "Newer Style" case or replace and earlier "A" type or style case. Of course, if one had a dealer/jobber contact the factory, One probably could have gotten the earlier "A" type case as well I'm sure.

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

phonogfp wrote:
JerryVan wrote:I have a very nice Banner Case, Triumph Model A with a typical Model A upper works,(i.e. sharp, square corners, ball type end latch, etc.) Serial number is approx. 41XXX

The last of the Model A Triumphs were sold with the cabinet we associate with the Model B. This occurred roughly from No.45,000 - No.50,000. :)

George P.
The serial number of the later machine is 48315, (so much for my remembering 43xxx). So, it sounds like what I thought was a Model B, is really a later Model A. That's great information. Thanks!

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Here it is, in person;
Attachments
Triumph.JPG
Triumph.JPG (237.01 KiB) Viewed 1753 times

ambrola
Victor IV
Personal Text: Be Careful What You Say, You Can't T ake It Back!

Post by ambrola »

Wouldn't that be a transitional B? A upper in a B case? I got this one?
IMG_1301.JPG

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

JerryVan wrote: The serial number of the later machine is 48315, (so much for my remembering 43xxx). So, it sounds like what I thought was a Model B, is really a later Model A. That's great information. Thanks!
You're very welcome! :)

George P.

briankeith
Victor IV
Personal Text: Jeepster

Post by briankeith »

This model was called the Triumph A/B, late in the Triumph A production the model B case was used. Not all that common.