Welcome to the Talking Machine Forum

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
PhonoJack
Victor Jr

Welcome to the Talking Machine Forum

Post by PhonoJack »

Hi,

Wow, I get to post the very first live message on this board? Just a little hello to all wandering phono-enthusiasts looking for a new place to hang out.

Best regards,

Jack

Zeppy
Victor III

Re: Welcome to the Talking Machine Forum

Post by Zeppy »

Pooo!!! You just beat me...I wanted to be first!!!!!

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

You guys both beat me, although I typed more. ;D

I need to hurry up and see about getting the avatars back, then I need to rush off and do things in the real world. I’m glad to see some of you have already made it back and started posting...expect even greater things from this board than from the ProBoards site; I can bring you a lot more features, here.

Your friendly internet daemon,

MordEth
Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Post by Edisonfan »

Hi everyone,

Well I am glad to see, the forum is back up. I know with everyone's support we can make this board as big as the last one was. Before we got shut down. MordEdth is off to a great start, and I know Neo, is happy that he did not throw in the Towel. I perssonally, would like to see this board come back to were it was, before the mess. I have started to add, some links to the links thread, to various phonograph related web sites. Anyway, I look forward, to disscusing about phonogrpahs, and hearing othere people's stories and adventures.

Paul

Amberola 1-A
Victor II

Post by Amberola 1-A »

Jack,

Your avatar is making me itchy!!! :D
Is that the dreaded woodworm that attacks European phonos?

Bill
Check with your dealer for the latest Edison Records!

3victrolas
Victor O

Post by 3victrolas »

Amberola 1-A wrote:Jack,

Your avatar is making me itchy!!! :D
Is that the dreaded woodworm that attacks European phonos?

Bill
LOL, at first I though why is there a bug on my screen? Kill it! :lol:

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

MordEth wrote:I need to hurry up and see about getting the avatars back, then I need to rush off and do things in the real world. I’m glad to see some of you have already made it back and started posting...expect even greater things from this board than from the ProBoards site; I can bring you a lot more features, here.

MordEth
Hey Guys -

I've managed my way over as well.

So I was going to ask about that. What exactly is the difference between this (i'm not sure what to call "this") and ProBoards? I know you mentioned you will be hosting the board mostly... but does that mean there is no third party interference now?

To be honest, I liked ProBoards and its basic all text simplicity. This feels like AOL's version of a forum to me, big and cartoony... Obviously, I am supportive of the group and know that content quality will surpass whatever forum format we use. :-)

Altho... I must admit I was in a bit of withdrawl not having a phono forum for those 24 hours. Kudo's on the re-organization!

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

phonophan79 wrote: To be honest, I liked ProBoards and its basic all text simplicity. This feels like AOL's version of a forum to me, big and cartoony... Obviously, I am supportive of the group and know that content quality will surpass whatever forum format we use. :-)

Altho... I must admit I was in a bit of withdrawl not having a phono forum for those 24 hours. Kudo's on the re-organization!
D.,

I preferred ProBoards layout as well. I went with it against the advice of a few. If only I'd listened!!!! M. tells me we have very many options for our layout with a phpBB. We can make some very serious changes, more than just colors and a logo. I think a layout similar to the ProBoards set-up we were used to would be a good starting point, but M. has some surprises up his sleeve methinks. Watch for some changes this coming week.

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

phonophan79 wrote:So I was going to ask about that. What exactly is the difference between this (i'm not sure what to call "this") and ProBoards? I know you mentioned you will be hosting the board mostly... but does that mean there is no third party interference now?
Technically this would be ‘phpBB’ if you want to talk about the bulletin board software. And yes, as mentioned previously, this is now on one of my dedicated web servers, so there should be no sour-grapes third-party interference; we cannot be taken down because ProBoards does not want to listen to a whiny little backwoods hatemonger who must ruin things for everyone if he cannot control them.

I refuse to allow your board to disappear to placate that man’s juvenile delusions of being the all-powerful savior of the online phonograph community.
phonophan79 wrote:To be honest, I liked ProBoards and its basic all text simplicity. This feels like AOL's version of a forum to me, big and cartoony... Obviously, I am supportive of the group and know that content quality will surpass whatever forum format we use. :-)
I can see where this is a valid complaint, and believe me, we will be doing something about the theme as soon as possible. I can completely reskin the board, but this will take time, and as I am currently traveling on business, I do not know how quickly I will have it done. I may try to replace it with a different pre-made theme on a temporary basis (if I manage to find one that does not look worse.)

On the plus side, however, I have infinitely more ability to work on this layout, and I can easily customize every aspect of how this board looks. Unfortunately, that will take time and effort, and so please do not expect it to happen overnight. It will get done, though; I promise everyone that.
phonophan79 wrote:Altho... I must admit I was in a bit of withdrawal not having a phono forum for those 24 hours. Kudo's on the re-organization!
I’m not sure exactly how long the board was down, but I immediately set out to have this up as soon as I found out the particulars. Despite being in San Francisco at a trade show, I believe that I had the new board up and running within 3-4 hours of being informed of all the pathetically sordid details. Hopefully as time goes by everyone will make their way back over, and we will get to see additional new members, as well.
Neophone wrote:I preferred ProBoards layout as well. I went with it against the advice of a few. If only I'd listened!!!! M. tells me we have very many options for our layout with a phpBB. We can make some very serious changes, more than just colors and a logo. I think a layout similar to the ProBoards set-up we were used to would be a good starting point, but M. has some surprises up his sleeve methinks. Watch for some changes this coming week.
There are some advantages to the simplicity of the other layout, but nothing gives you more control over being able to do a site correctly like hosting it yourself (even if it is more work for your poor unpaid web-monkey). ;)

Above all, though, it makes us bulletproof.

Thankfully, though, I enjoy working with web content, and many of you have already become very good friends to have, and as I explained to someone with regards to John—I could not ask for a better friend.

Now to see about getting a favicon.ico in the address bar next to the site address, for your bookmarking enjoyment (e.g. obsoleting the forum redirect I did previously).

Expect updates (and requests for your feedback) with regards to the site design and other features. We value your input; this is still your board.

MordEth
Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

coyote
Victor II

Post by coyote »

Um...maybe this is just me, but two things:

1. Didn't we have a sub-forum under "Tips, Tricks..." related to issues with the board software? There's a "Board Tech" forum there now, but it's only visible when logged in, and you can't post to it...unless I'm just interpreting the empty forum incorrectly.

2. I was going to post this THERE, but...the most annoying thing I've encountered here versus ProBoards is that any links are NOT automatically opened in a new browser window. I don't think this is a browser issue. Can anything be done about that?

Thanks!!
Bill