Texas Antique Phonograph Society?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Texas Antique Phonograph Society?

Post by phonogal »

I was looking around Craigslist and found this ad. Does anyone know anything about this? http://easttexas.craigslist.org/atq/4871173896.html This would be really great if it is true.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Texas Antique Phonograph Society?

Post by Curt A »

Yes, I met Dustin at the Orlando Show. He is a very nice young guy who is interested in promoting our hobby. He has started a museum and apparently is also starting a collectors organization in Texas. He is a member of this forum and I wish him the best in getting this off the ground...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

The Antique Phonograph Society wishes Dustin the very best in his endeavor, and we will be happy to support TAPS as we do other regional societies. However, as for being a "regional representative of A.P.S.," we have not received any inquiry from Dustin regarding this. We have no formal regional representatives, although we are happy to promote regional societies on our website. I'm sure it was simply a poor word choice, and we do wish Dustin and the museum well. :)

George P.

phonogal
Victor IV

Post by phonogal »

I was in contact with Dustin last evening. We plan to make a trip up to the museum soon and talk with Dustin about the society. Hope they get this off the ground as I'm sure there are many local collectors that would benefit. I know I would love to meet and talk with everyone but have only been able to travel to 1 phono show due to distance and expense.

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

This is a good idea.

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

I realize this is a response to an older post, but after being in the hobby for about 50 years, it would be nice to have a new show site in Texas or Oklahoma.

phonogal
Victor IV

Post by phonogal »

EdiBrunsVic wrote:I realize this is a response to an older post, but after being in the hobby for about 50 years, it would be nice to have a new show site in Texas or Oklahoma.
It sure would! We have nothing in this area that I'm aware of.

Wes K
Victor I

Post by Wes K »

phonogal wrote:
EdiBrunsVic wrote:I realize this is a response to an older post, but after being in the hobby for about 50 years, it would be nice to have a new show site in Texas or Oklahoma.
It sure would! We have nothing in this area that I'm aware of.
Will second!

Question for the APS folks:
Have you guys considered regional chapters, like the NAWCC?
Or maybe regional meets/events like the AFCA? (Antique Fan Collectors Association).
I know the AFCA's annual event, FanFair, is held in a different city every year.

vansteem78
Victor II

Post by vansteem78 »

I see 'post not found' when I click on the link. To bad you just could not have copied and pasted it so we all could see it. I got an idea though from comments what it's all about Alfie! ha ha My little (very little) joke. Neil

vansteem78
Victor II

Post by vansteem78 »

Oh PS I found an Illinois Wisconsin group through the antique phonograph society website and will be joining them soon. Hope a group is formed in Texas to promote the hobby. Neil (again)