Do you still have your first phonograph?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Dave D
Victor IV

Do you still have your first phonograph?

Post by Dave D »

I was told once many years ago not to get sentimental about anything. I don't think that I would ever sell my first Edison cylinder phonograph, a model D. I have owned it since 1975.

How many of you would feel the same way I do?
Dave

Victrolaboy
Victor III

Re: Do you still have your first phonograph?

Post by Victrolaboy »

I still have my first phonograph that I got when I was 8 years old (turning 9 on my birthday) and now I'm almost 14 (I'm still 13 but I'll be 14 this summer in June). It is an Edison diamond disc model H-19 and I still have it 10 phonographs later! :)
Nick Hoffmann

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

Yes. I still have the Victor V that my grandfather dragged out of the attic for me when I was five. I had seen a Victrola when visiting a great uncle, and apparently wouldn't shut up about it. Grandpa "solved" the problem by giving me one of his father's machines. He later told me that he chose the V becaus it was heavy enough that I would not be dragging it about. Little did he know.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Yes, I started with a Berliner trade-mark and will never sell it. That is unless anyone wants to make an offer....just kidding... ;) :lol: :lol:.

wtt11
Victor I

Post by wtt11 »

I still keep it (no brand at all) but it has been staying in corner since I acquired my second phonograph(Edison Home)

Torjazzer
Victor II

Post by Torjazzer »

I still have my first machine: the vv-50 I bought over twenty years ago. Would I give it up? To quote one, "From my cold, dead hands."

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

My first antique phonograph was a small Aeolian-Vocalion given me by my older brother (probably to keep me out of his room with his Victrola 100). This was the spring of 1967. I'm a pretty sentimental guy, but after 6 years and the addition of about a dozen phonographs, I knew that the Aeolian would never be anything more in my collection than "my first machine." When an Edison Standard Model C with an ICS repeater appeared in a local shop during the summer of 1973, I traded the Aeolian even-up for it (the Standard's cabinet was in pieces, but amazingly, it was all there and looked fine after a few days of clamping, gluing and refinishing. The mechanism was spotless). If I had it to do over again, I'd do the same thing.

I do, however, still have the first phonograph I ever bought. A Circassian Walnut Victrola XVI from a prominent local family - making me the second owner in its 113-year life! (I don't count the antique dealer.) :)

George P.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

My first machine was purchased at a local antique auction about 1973. It was a little mahogany table model Cecilian about the size of a Victrola IX. It came with a bunch of records and I was delighted with it. I loved the music and could understand the technology of the spring driven motor. I had it for about a dozen years. About that time we had a lady that came in about every other week to do some housekeeping. She was always interested in new items in my collection. For Christmas one year we gave the Cecilian to her as a gift. It was a graceful way for me to part with a machine that no longer added interest to my collection. Jerry B.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

George, Isn't your Circassian XVI on the cover of one of your books? Jerry

Player-Tone
Victor II

Post by Player-Tone »

I still have my first phonograph, my Player-Tone (as pictured in my avatar). It is, after all, the "world's greatest phonograph"! :D
PT.jpg
You can find more information on it here:
http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=16970
-Mike