ANSWER A QUESTION. ASK A QUESTION.

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Re: ANSWER A QUESTION. ASK A QUESTION.

Post by Roaring20s »

walser wrote:
What is the strangest/weirdest record you have bought? (I have a Japanese one that I really love although I don't understand a single world of it nor can read the label and two Australian ones with aboriginal songs that are mesmerizing)
Regards, Pedro
Earlier this year I found this copy of Mysterious Mose.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exjIyfienjo

In your record collection, what is the group, band, or orchestra that you have the most of?
(For me, it would be Paul Whiteman with Fritz Kreisler in a close second)

James.

Phonolair
Victor III

Post by Phonolair »

Roaring20s wrote: In your record collection, what is the group, band, or orchestra that you have the most of?
(For me, it would be Paul Whiteman with Fritz Kreisler in a close second) James.
Uncle Josh & Billy Murray, about the same each. You can tell I'm not a serious record collector by what I have the most of, but there fun to listen to.

Question - When at a auction or sale do you stick to your predetermined price you want to spend on a machine? Or do you get caught up in the excitement and pay more than you planned.

Best Regards, Larry

rgordon939
Victor V

Post by rgordon939 »

I really like auctions as you never know what the hammer price is going to be. I start whit a predetermined price in mne buy many times end up going higher especially if I'm buying several machines. I then think of it as a group purchase and as long as the total works for me that is what matters.

Question: What is the greatest distance you have travelled to attend an auction?

Hailey
Victor III

Post by Hailey »

Question: What is the greatest distance you have travelled to attend an auction?

Response: I drove (one-way) 1700 miles to Elsworth, Maine to attend an auction a few years ago. It was a successful venture.

My question is ...

If a new swap meet were to be organized, say in the central part of the states, would you have an interest in being a vendor; and, what would be your preference as far as month of the year?

rgordon939
Victor V

Post by rgordon939 »

Hailey wrote: My question is ...

If a new swap meet were to be organized, say in the central part of the states, would you have an interest in being a vendor; and, what would be your preference as far as month of the year?
I'd like to see it the end of June or the beginning of July. Could make a vacation out of it.

Question: where can I find a 48" or 60" brass horn in nice condition.

Rich Gordon

ambrola
Victor IV
Personal Text: Be Careful What You Say, You Can't T ake It Back!

Post by ambrola »

rgordon939 wrote:Someone offered me a barn find one time and he said he needed the money to feed his family. I could not refuse. When I opened the box I was sort of shocked th see this big ball of dirt and dust. When I started to clean it up I realized that what I thought was dirt and dust was actually wax shavings and dust that completely covered the entire machine. When I finished cleaning off all the wax I was shocked to see who's the wax had preserved the machine, both the wood and the metal. Here is what I ended up with, what I think is a beautiful Edison Business Shaver with the optional electric upgrade. I love it and use it all the time. It shaves brown wax cylinders to a mirror finish.

What was your best barn find?
Rich,
Do you still have the electric shaver?

rgordon939
Victor V

Post by rgordon939 »

Yes Ronnie I still have the electric Edison Shaver.

Rich Gordon
Attachments
image.jpg

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

walser wrote: What is the strangest/weirdest record you have bought?
A record by actors of His Majesty's Theatre of London, recorded on 29 August 1903 by William Gaisberg, assisted by Belford Royal. Gaisberg made seven 10" discs that day but only one was issued. I have an unissued test. The title in the Gramophone Co. recording ledger tells it all: "Discordant Voices." Played backstage during a theatre performance, one or more gramophones could imitate crowds of people all speaking and crying at once.

What was the best phonograph/gramophone/disc/cylinder catch (choose one) you ever had?

bigshot
Victor II

Post by bigshot »

Starkton wrote:
walser wrote:What was the best phonograph/gramophone/disc/cylinder catch (choose one) you ever had?
That's easy! Whichever one I got most recently!

What is more important... sound quality or the machine itself?

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

What is more important... sound quality or the machine itself?
I'm a machine guy so the condition and features of the machine are most important. A machine is a snapshot in time and I appreciate the unique qualities that were offered for that moment.

Do you buy machines just for resale or do you fund your hobby from other sources?

Jerry Blais