ANSWER A QUESTION. ASK A QUESTION.

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Phonolair
Victor III

Re: ANSWER A QUESTION. ASK A QUESTION.

Post by Phonolair »

Jerry B. wrote: Do you buy machines just for resale or do you fund your hobby from other sources? Jerry Blais
When it comes to funding my collection I get the money from where ever I can. But reselling machines and doing repairs is a large portion of the funds for my buying. Going to auctions and shows is not cheap with gas and hotel bills. It's nice if I can at least break even on expenses but I'm always trying to add to the phono fund for my next collection purchase.

Question : Is originality very important when it comes to your machines or can you live with a machine with repro parts on it as long as it looks nice and plays good.

Best Regards, Larry

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Phonolair wrote: Question : Is originality very important when it comes to your machines or can you live with a machine with repro parts on it as long as it looks nice and plays good.

Best Regards, Larry
I prefer my machines or anything to be 100% original.

What is the rarest machine you won on Ebay..?.

winsleydale
Victor III
Personal Text: "Communism is the very definition of failure!"

Post by winsleydale »

Let's get this ball rolling again, it was so much fun.

To answer the question posed on 30 June by Gramophone78: I have never won a machine on Ebay, so N/A.

My question: I found a Victrola XVII on my local Craigslist, and it looks like the only part it needs is the back hatch thing. It also needs the finish gone over but it's only $350. Should I go for it? Do you think I can talk the guy down?
"Death is a preferable alternative to communism!" - Liberty Prime

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

It's been years since that Craigslist XVII was available so it's probably long gone. Whenever you buy a XVII or XVIII you are buying the fancy curved sided cabinet. The mechanical parts were always Victor's best available but they were shared by the desirable but much more common XVI. You've probably read that the "flagship" of the Victrola lineup was the XVI. The flagship of the Edison line was the C-250 which transitioned to the C-19. The customer could pay more for a XVII or XVIII but they were paying for decoration rather than audio performance. The same was true of the Edison lineup.

When you attend a phono sale like Wayne or Union, do you go with a specific want list or do you expect to fall in love with something unexpected?

Jerry Blais

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Post by GregVTLA »

I went last time for the first time, and I had a mental list of the couple of things I wanted to locate. I ended up coming home with the few things I needed plus a few more.

Question: Does refinishing a phonograph ever increase the value?

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

GregVTLA wrote:

Value is determined if and when a particular item is placed for sale. If the buyer wants originality, then refinishing is a detriment. But, there are many buyers out there who prefer refinished, as they are not "collectors" but simply antique lovers who wish to add a beautiful phonograph to their home decor.

I once asked my in-laws what they thought my all-original ratchet-wind Berliner might be worth. They guessed $200 at most. And, if I gave it to them, they probably would have consigned it to their storeroom as useless junk. So, to them, the value was zero.

Raphael

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

GregVTLA wrote:I went last time for the first time, and I had a mental list of the couple of things I wanted to locate. I ended up coming home with the few things I needed plus a few more.

If it's done absolutely correctly as it would have been when new, the answer is 'yes', at least to me. Glopped on shiny thick polyurethane and silver/ gold spray paint? Ah, no.

Question: Do you buy phonographs/ gramophones to USE or to display?
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Phonograph collectors generally prefer an original finish. With that said, I have refinished a large number of cabinets. I would like to think that every one of those cabinets were in a condition that demanded refinishing and did increase their value. Of course everyone's tolerance level regarding a needy finish is different. If the finish is a detraction I will lean toward refinishing. There are many Forum members that say a cabinet is only original once and I do respect their opinions.

It pays to read any "For Sale" ad with a critical eye. If you read that "all parts are original..." you might want to ask about the finish.

If I sell what I describe as an "all original" Victor II, do you want it mentioned at the rubber pads on the bottom of the case were replaced? How about a new spring?

Jerry Blais

Answer George First!!! :)

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Jerry B. wrote:
Phonograph collectors generally prefer an original finish. With that said, I have refinished a large number of cabinets. I would like to think that every one of those cabinets were in a condition that demanded refinishing and did increase their value. Of course everyone's tolerance level regarding a needy finish is different. If the finish is a detraction I will lean toward refinishing. There are many Forum members that say a cabinet is only original once and I do respect their opinions.

It pays to read any "For Sale" ad with a critical eye. If you read that "all parts are original..." you might want to ask about the finish.

If I sell what I describe as an "all original" Victor II, do you want it mentioned at the rubber pads on the bottom of the case were replaced? How about a new spring?

Jerry Blais

Answer George First!!! :)
Hahaha, you can usurp me any time, Mr. B. :lol:

To me, finish is not only there to look good... it's there to preserve what's underneath. That goes with paint on a classic automobile or finish/ plating on a machine. The funny thing about deterioration is that it won't reverse itself.

If you get eczema on your skin, do you shrug and say "it's only original once"?
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

EarlH
Victor III

Post by EarlH »

Sorry, I messed up! I guess I don't really have a question.
Last edited by EarlH on Sat May 19, 2018 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.