Ouch! this can't be right! Edison DD played on Columbia!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Ouch! this can't be right! Edison DD played on Columbia!

Post by marcapra »

Here's another DD being destroyed through phonographic ignorance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gNzJy-N-x0

larryh
Victor IV

Re: Ouch! this can't be right! Edison DD played on Columbi

Post by larryh »

Out here in the country I see a lot of that kind of damage. People simply don't realize there is a difference in the ways both types of records are played. I went to an auction which had two large boxes of edisons, which I don't see too often. I was really sad when I realized that many of them were either electrical recordings or hot jazz groups. All of them worn down to the point they looked white. I think I paid about two dollars for the boxes and managed to get a couple of sides that still were playable out of around 50 records.. Could have been a real deal other wise.

Larry

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Post by GregVTLA »

I have to admit, I'm surprised at how much music is coming through even with the setup completely wrong!

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

I wonder how much abuse a DD record can take before it's destroyed. I would assume just one steel needle scrape would do the trick. :cry:
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

audiophile102 wrote:I wonder how much abuse a DD record can take before it's destroyed. I would assume just one steel needle scrape would do the trick. :cry:
^^^
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

Playing the DD on a Grafonola would ruin it in no time flat! :evil: edisonplayer

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

I wonder how many collectors who started in the the 50s-90s accidentally played Edisons and Pathés on Victrolas when information on what record to play on what machine was scarce?

Oh btw, there’s a Victrola I saw for sale on eBay and this was one of the photos, and the Edison record they ruined.
Attachments
4381F1DB-34F8-4084-AF0B-AD66108F7FEC.jpeg
CA256A2A-A0C3-4126-A909-EF88314DB013.png

Wes K
Victor I

Post by Wes K »

I am guessing that the youtube user that posted the video was likely an ebay seller, as the video seems to demonstrate that type of level of interest and knowledge about what they were trying to demonstrate! :lol:

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

AmberolaAndy wrote:I wonder how many collectors who started in the the 50s-90s accidentally played Edisons and Pathés on Victrolas when information on what record to play on what machine was scarce?

Oh btw, there’s a Victrola I saw for sale on eBay and this was one of the photos, and the Edison record they ruined.
Went into an antique store some years ago, saw a nice early DD sitting on a Victrola like that, and promptly rescued it (after convincing the proprietor that it did not "go with the machine"). Luckily, no one had tried to play it... :clover:

Bill