Columbia Reproducer or Soundbox??

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Columbia Reproducer or Soundbox??

Post by gramophoneshane »

I spotted this Columbia cylinder machine on ebay, and it has the stragest reproducer I've ever seen.
Is this a "real" Columbia reproducer, or a soundbox that's been modified in an attempt to play cylinders?
Attachments
columbia mech2.jpg
columbia mech.jpg

JohnM
Victor V

Re: Columbia Reproducer or Soundbox??

Post by JohnM »

Yes, this is a Columbia cylinder reproducer. It was found only on a couple of Graphophones -- the Types AO and the AW, IIRC -- and was also the reproducer used on the Multiplex Graphophone Grand (there were actually three of these reproducers on that machine).

The design was indeed derived from the design of the contemporary Columbia disc Graphophone reproducers.

John M
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Thanks John. This is a completely new reproducer design to me.
How does the stylus stay in the groove? Does the whole body of the reproducer move via a ball joint or something, or does just the needle bar move?
I'd imagine the whole reproducer moves, but it look like an aweful lot of weight to be putting on a wax cylinder.

Anyone know how the sound quality compares to a normal Columbia or Edison reproducer, and what benifits did Columbia claim for this design?

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Yes, the reproducer floats on the surface just like other Columbia non-carriage style reproducers. The intent was greater volume -- the reproducer was heavier and had a larger diaphragm. Also, the 90-degree bend of sound travel in the other floating reproducers is lessened.

I don't have one to comment upon, and it has been years since I've heard one, but I would suppose it couldn't help but be louder than conventional floaters. Also, it would be throwing some some sound from the face of the reproducer as well, that probably contributes to greater ambient volume as well.

Hazelcorn, in his Columbia Graphophone Companion Volume 1 refers to these as a '#8', introduced in 1903.

John M
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan