Save the Rivoli Project

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
dutchman
Victor IV

Save the Rivoli Project

Post by dutchman »

Working on rescuing a Rivoli upright I bought. It has such a beautiful internal horn I thought it would be worth rescuing. The machine is a disaster (money pit), but hey its a long winter. The motor does not work, its a Heineman and the double spring barrels look like they contain ⅞ inch springs. I believe this is a pretty common motor used in off-brands. Curious if anyone has had one of these motors fixed and if the small spring size is/will be a problem. Thanks
    Bill K
    Attachments
    004.JPG
    004.JPG (79.97 KiB) Viewed 3220 times
    003.JPG
    003.JPG (83.17 KiB) Viewed 3220 times
    005.JPG
    005.JPG (83.07 KiB) Viewed 3220 times

Curt A
    Victor Monarch Special
    Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Save the Rivoli Project

Post by Curt A »

Definitely worth saving...
    "The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
    Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
    My Wife

emerson
    Victor III

Post by emerson »

Yes, Rivoli did produce some models with that eye-catching internal horn. I have seen a console model too, that had that classic look. Emerson used a spruce Music Master horn as well as a plaster horn---however the alternate duel shade wood on the Rivoli tops the Emerson look. About the motor, they are easy to find and common. Emerson also used them---different sizes for different priced models. Good luck----would of enjoyed seeing a picture of the cabinet, or should I wait----to be continued? Herb

dutchman
    Victor IV

Post by dutchman »

emerson wrote:Yes, Rivoli did produce some models with that eye-catching internal horn. I have seen a console model too, that had that classic look. Emerson used a spruce Music Master horn as well as a plaster horn---however the alternate duel shade wood on the Rivoli tops the Emerson look. About the motor, they are easy to find and common. Emerson also used them---different sizes for different priced models. Good luck----would of enjoyed seeing a picture of the cabinet, or should I wait----to be continued? Herb
    To be continued. Proceeding one piece at a time like the pot metal support for the tone arm. If I can repair that it is on to the tone arm/reproducer which has a heavy coat of aluminum paint ---- if I am unsuccessful the party is over :cry: Cheers

Bill K

Uncle Vanya
    Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

The motor appears to be a Heinemann "33". This motor is pretty darned relationship able. It was used in a great many machijes, most commonly found in some Pathé models and in the (really excellent) Outing portable. I have a good half-dozen of these motors in my junk pile, but beware! There are several fdifferent crank positions and shaft diameters . If you could show a straight-on crank-side ohonograph of your motor, with, perhaps a ruler in the ohoto I can see whether any of my motors will match yours.

As far as the tone arm is concerned, what style and make is it? What is the distance from the center of the pivot to the turntable spindle? Your Rivoli machine with that splendid horn deserves to sing again!

dutchman
    Victor IV

Post by dutchman »

Thanks for the interest Uncle Vanya. Attached a few photos. Hope they help. The interior of the tone arm base was broken all the way across. Fortunately the whole piece was rattling around inside the machine. I reattached the piece with JB Weld with a heavy paperclip frame around the break. The motor has the number 3 on top. The tone arm has a round knob opposite the reproducer to divert input from either phono or Radio. Looks like the radio audio attached to the tone arm with a hose like arrangement.

Anyway let me know if you would like any other photos. Thanks Bill K
      Attachments
      015.JPG
      015.JPG (80 KiB) Viewed 2952 times
      014.JPG
      014.JPG (77.22 KiB) Viewed 2952 times
      013.JPG
      013.JPG (82.05 KiB) Viewed 2952 times
      012.JPG
      012.JPG (80.21 KiB) Viewed 2952 times
      010.JPG
      010.JPG (78.38 KiB) Viewed 2952 times
      011.JPG
      011.JPG (78.83 KiB) Viewed 2952 times
      008.JPG
      008.JPG (84.21 KiB) Viewed 2952 times
      005.JPG
      005.JPG (84.53 KiB) Viewed 2952 times
      004.JPG
      004.JPG (82.71 KiB) Viewed 2952 times
      003.JPG
      003.JPG (79.91 KiB) Viewed 2952 times

Curt A
      Victor Monarch Special
      Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

The tonearm looks good and your repair seems to work just fine...
      "The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
      Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
      My Wife

Uncle Vanya
      Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

"Blood" tone arm. The little nozzle to the right is for a Baldwin loudspeaker driver, and the knurled knob selects between "Phonograph" and "Radio". Is there a place in your cabinet for a battery radio chassis?

dutchman
      Victor IV

Post by dutchman »

Uncle Vanya wrote:"Blood" tone arm. The little nozzle to the right is for a Baldwin loudspeaker driver, and the knurled knob selects between "Phonograph" and "Radio". Is there a place in your cabinet for a battery radio chassis?
      Thanks for the info. Nope just plain old shelving in the cabinet.

Bill K

dutchman
      Victor IV

Post by dutchman »

Slowly getting there - replaced both sides and was able to save one of the top doors that looked like it was hit with a axe - in the process of veneering it. Eventually it will look like the Sonora sitting besides it. The Sonora was also in really bad shape when my wife got it at an auction in WV years ago. To this day she has not told me what she shelled out for the Sonora, something about another woman told her she was leaving with the machine come he$$ or high water :shock: Cheers

Bill K
      Attachments
      004.JPG
      004.JPG (81.68 KiB) Viewed 2792 times
      003.JPG
      003.JPG (84.8 KiB) Viewed 2792 times