Featured Phonograph № 117 - Zon-o-phone Grand Opera

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Featured Phonograph № 117 - Zon-o-phone Grand Opera

Post by alang »

Make: Zon-o-phone - Universal Talking Machine Mfg Co.
Model: Grand Opera Tapering Arm
Serial #:
Year(s) Made: 1906-1912
Original Cost: $60
Case/Cabinet Size: 15 ½" x 15 ½" x 8 ½"
Turntable/Mandrel: 10" cast iron turntable
Reproducer/Sound-Box: Zon-o-phone (Exhibition type)
Motor: 3-spring
Horn Dimensions: Morning Glory, 27" long, 22 ½" bell, wood grain finish or all brass
Reproduction Parts: one corner column, reproducer gaskets
Current Value: $2,500 - $3,500

Interesting Facts: This machine was produced after Victor acquired the Universal Talking Machine Mfg Co. in 1903. Zon-o-phones continued to be manufactured as a lower cost alternative to Victor and with no obvious connection to the VTM. Both reproducers and motors were nearly identical to Victor machines. With this being the second most expensive Zon-o-phone model and with it's three spring motor it was Zon-o-phone's equivalent to a Victor V (at the same price), albeit much smaller in size and with only a 10" turntable. At first it was offered with a metal morning glory horn, either in wood grain finish or in all brass. Later the top Zon-o-phone models were offered with wood horns at no additional cost.

Just recently at Union I was able to purchase an all brass morning glory horn - thanks to Jerry Blais. Most of the pictures below have been taken earlier with the regular oak grain morning glory horn. I think it looks great with either horn, but the all brass looks a bit more elegant.
P1050757.JPG
P1050760.JPG
P1050761.JPG
P1050763.JPG
P1050764.JPG
P1050768.JPG
P1050772.JPG
P1050773.JPG
$T2eC16hHJH0FG2NFdU88BRvqB!Y)7w~~60_57.jpg
$T2eC16NHJHgFFl)hgTs0BRvqBo5(nw~~60_57.jpg

alang
VTLA

Featured Phonograph № 117 - Zon-o-phone Grand Opera - more p

Post by alang »

And here some pictures with the new all brass morning glory horn.
P1070805.JPG
P1070807.JPG
Here it is in its new habitat :)
P1070818.JPG
An early ad from shortly after it was released lists it with either a regular (trumpet?) or all brass morning glory horn.
Zonophone-1906.jpg
And a later ad with the free wood horns:
EM2_168.jpg
Last edited by alang on Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Starkton
Victor IV

Re: Featured Phonograph № 117 - Zon-o-phone Grand Opera

Post by Starkton »

Wow! This is a very impressing Zonophone, especially with the brass horn. Great images also.

Although it matches the brass horn, I would nickel plate the elbow, as in original condition. Did anybody find a proper way to prevent the elbow from partially slipping out of the back bracket?

phonocookie
Victor I

Post by phonocookie »

Nice machine. I have one just like it but mine has a all brass horn. They are nice machines to have. Jerry

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

I like the machine with either horn. It is beautiful. I noticed in the brochures that the machine came with a woodgrain horn. Was the brass horn an option or a later 3rd party horn?

Dan

alang
VTLA

Post by alang »

Starkton wrote:Wow! This is a very impressing Zonophone, especially with the brass horn. Great images also.

Although it matches the brass horn, I would nickel plate the elbow, as in original condition. Did anybody find a proper way to prevent the elbow from partially slipping out of the back bracket?
Thanks. To the best of my knowledge the brass elbow that is fixed to the horn is a signature of these Zonophones and is all original. Elbows on both horns seem to be lacquered over the brass, so they are not polished at all. I have been searching for Zonophone horns for a while and none that I saw had a nickel plated elbow.

Andreas

alang
VTLA

Post by alang »

melvind wrote:I like the machine with either horn. It is beautiful. I noticed in the brochures that the machine came with a woodgrain horn. Was the brass horn an option or a later 3rd party horn?

Dan
In the catalog sown it was listed with a wood grain horn, but if you look at the "New Tapering Arm Zon-o-phone" ad I posted it lists it with a choice of either regular pr all brass morning glory horn. The all brass MG horn is also listed in the catalog for $12, so both configurations are correct and have at some point been standard configuration.

Thanks
Andreas

vic-b
Victor I

Post by vic-b »

The horn elbows are brass. They were not nickled to my knowledge. As for the slippage? You have to make sure the elbow is round, and not flattened, or slightly ovaled. Unfortunately, sometimes the only thing that you can do is use something to "shim" the horn.

Jeff
Wisconsin

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

As a recent first time owner of a Zonophone (see the June cover and article in The Antique Phonograph), I am very surprised at how well designed and built they are.
If I was Berliner or Johnson.....I would have been most concerned when this brand hit the market in the late Winter,early Spring of 1900.
Thank you for sharing your machine... ;).
1900 Zonophone Type C.JPG

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Post by ChuckA »

Beautiful machine, I like the wood grain horn.

That model was the first Zonophone I ever bought, way back in 1972, at a not so local auction and it was just about 10pm when it sold. I got caught up in the bidding and paid $300, which was more than I had with me so I had to drive home to get checkbook and drive back to pay for it.

It had the large nickel horn:

Chuck