Interesting Victor R

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Interesting Victor R

Post by Jerry B. »

I saw this Victor R at Union last year and loved it. The only problem was the fact that I was committed to other purchases and was short of funds. I asked other collectors for their opinions. Opinions were either love or hate. There was very little in between. I loved it and was pleased when the seller called a few months later and offered it at a reduced price. I made payments and picked it up on my way to Union.

The origin of the machine was from a inventor / businessman that patented the chambered horn and also patented modifications to a Zonophone reproducer. (Actually, I need to do some research on the patents so see what was claimed and it they were awarded.) The machine was used to demonstrate the improvements to prospective investors. Investors apparently were not impressed and it never went into production. Thankfully, the family of the inventor preserved everything from the special carrying cases for the horn and machine as well as the records. I am delighted with it.

Is it the first talking machine with a wood horn?

Jerry Blais
Attachments
DSC03559.JPG
DSC03560.JPG
DSC03561.JPG
DSC03562.jpg
DSC03563.JPG
DSC03564.JPG
DSC03565.JPG
DSC03566.JPG

melvind
Victor IV

Re: Interesting Victor R

Post by melvind »

I have no idea if it is the first wood horn machine but put me in the category of one that loves it! I think it is interesting and fun and rather well made.

Congratulations!

Dan

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

That's the Osten-Spaulding horn. Patented July 22, 1902, No.705,126. :)

George P.

vic-b
Victor I

Post by vic-b »

Despite having the patent tag in a readable position, I have to wonder about horn position; vertical verses horizontal. (hornizontal :lol:) I would think that one would want the projected sound to fill a room from side to side, rather than floor to ceiling???

Just a thought?
Jeff

P.S. Great, as always to see you at Union. Wish we would have had more time to chat!!!

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

I would be somewhere in between love and hate on this one. It is definitely a rarity. How does the weight balance on the tone arm cradle? Is there much weight on the needle?
Ken

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

There's an additional weight on the underside of the traveling arm. Jerry

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Looks cool. 8-)

Andreas

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

What happened to all the extra's that were with it when it was originally listed and sold on Ebay..??? :shock:. I seem to remember some business cards or other ephemera and a second reproducer..??.
It's nice to see the horn was restored back. If I remember correctly, it was in a few pieces or the baffle was loose..??. I can't remember now...it was a few years ago.

I thought it was at Union that same year for sale..??.

There is a thread on here somewhere while it was on Ebay that shows patent drawings and a very interesting discussion about the whole set up.

If only someone could locate that thread.