Edison Diamond Disc Phono cabinet factory sticker survey

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Edison Diamond Disc Phono cabinet factory sticker survey

Post by fran604g »

Hiya folks!

I recently picked up a very late Chippendale C 19 (SN 172249) with a cabinet factory identification sticker (inside the horn compartment, on the right wall) that has me curious.

On the end of the sticker closest to the horn opening is conspicuously shown the number 18754, and I'm trying to understand it's significance, if any. NOTE: Printed on the opposite end in very small typeset is the number 22330, which I take to possibly mean the form number of the sticker.

If you have an Edison Diamond Disc Phonograph with a cabinet sticker specifying Factory No.19:

What is the number on it in the location shown, and what is the model and serial number of the Phonograph?

No. 19 Cabinet Factory 18754.JPG
Thank you all for your continued support in my research,
Fran
Last edited by fran604g on Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

winsleydale
Victor III
Personal Text: "Communism is the very definition of failure!"

Re: Edison Diamond Disc Phonograph cabinet sticker survey

Post by winsleydale »

My William & Mary console , serial #SM 3915, has the factory #19 sticker numbered 15151.
"Death is a preferable alternative to communism!" - Liberty Prime

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Isn't THIS interesting! Serialized cabinet factory labels? I've never seen this type before. :)

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Cabinet factory No.19 was Edison's New London factory. Can anyone confirm/correct that?

George P.

ejackett
Victor II

Post by ejackett »

Fran....This is the sticker on my W-19
William & Mary. My sticker is on the
left hand side as you look at the front.
Gene

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

winsleydale wrote:My William & Mary console , serial #SM 3915, has the factory #19 sticker numbered 15151.
Interesting, thank you, winsleydale! We're off and running!
ejackett wrote:Fran....This is the sticker on my W-19
William & Mary. My sticker is on the
left hand side as you look at the front.
Gene
Hi Gene,

I'm looking for stickers that were produced specifically by "Cabinet Factory No. 19" with a large conspicuous number on it's right edge, but I appreciate your willingness to contribute.

Perhaps someone could start a separate survey for ALL of the various Edison cabinet factory number identification? (I will if no-one else wants to ;) ).

It might be good to see if other cabinet factory identification stickers may have been serialized as well, but I'm not sure it would be prudent for us to get too far off track, so I'm going to focus on just the Cabinet Factory No. 19 sticker query for now.

Now, we have two numbered stickers from Edison Cabinet Factory No. 19:

W&M SM-3915 Factory No. 19-15151
C19 SM-172249 Factory No. 19-18754

I wonder where this will lead us? I will keep record of the stickers within this post.

Best,
Fran
Last edited by fran604g on Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

phonogfp wrote:Isn't THIS interesting! Serialized cabinet factory labels? I've never seen this type before. :)

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Cabinet factory No.19 was Edison's New London factory. Can anyone confirm/correct that?

George P.
It would be instructive if we could correspond the various factory sticker numbers to the specific companies that Edison used for manufacturing their cabinets! I have been unable to find a source of information that does all that.

I hope someone chimes in and responds to your question, George.

Best,
Fran

winsleydale
Victor III
Personal Text: "Communism is the very definition of failure!"

Post by winsleydale »

Even if we broke the serial numbers into categories by model, I'm not sure that the numbers would be anything like consecutive when the machines are arranged according to their Edison serial numbers. I mean, I'm sure that the assembly plant received parts and cabinets in lots, and assembled with whatever they had regardless of the serialized order of the cabinetry. I guess if we could figure out which serial numbers belonged to which production year at the cabinet factory, then it would be cool to see how long each cabinet sat before it was actually assembled and sent out.
"Death is a preferable alternative to communism!" - Liberty Prime

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

winsleydale wrote:Even if we broke the serial numbers into categories by model, I'm not sure that the numbers would be anything like consecutive when the machines are arranged according to their Edison serial numbers. I mean, I'm sure that the assembly plant received parts and cabinets in lots, and assembled with whatever they had regardless of the serialized order of the cabinetry. I guess if we could figure out which serial numbers belonged to which production year at the cabinet factory, then it would be cool to see how long each cabinet sat before it was actually assembled and sent out.
I was thinking that the information might eventually be useful to help identify the exact type and number of cabinets produced by a specific factory, and if we're lucky, when they were produced, delivered and ultimately assembled into complete Phonographs.

Maybe, instead, the numbers were just the internal factory cabinet model numbers? We only have two examples right now, so we'll need to gather more information and see where it leads us...

Just two more pieces of the grand puzzle. :)

Fran

A Ford 1
Victor II

Post by A Ford 1 »

Hi Fran,
My C-19 that as you may recall had an H or other incorrect letter designation be for its serial number SM-173825 has a factory number 19 label and on the right hand side 15978. The label is so well behind the horn and I can not see any other number but I have placed a warm wet paper towel wad over it and will try to remove the label. If I am successful I will amend my post.

Allen

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

A Ford 1 wrote:Hi Fran,
My C-19 that as you may recall had an H or other incorrect letter designation be for its serial number SM-173825 has a factory number 19 label and on the right hand side 15978. The label is so well behind the horn and I can not see any other number but I have placed a warm wet paper towel wad over it and will try to remove the label. If I am successful I will amend my post.

Allen
Thank you, Allen. Maybe someday this little tag number could help identify the actual serial number of your Chippendale C 19!

This probably removes any doubt from my mind that the tag is an internal factory cabinet model designation.

It appears that George's postulation that it's possibly a serialization of the cabinet, is now certainly supported! :)

Best,
Fran