Info needed regarding Capitol bakelite needle dispenser

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Info needed regarding Capitol bakelite needle dispenser

Post by barnettrp21122 »

I found a Capitol bakelite needle dispenser, and I think there's something missing inside that keeps the needles from falling out through the little hole in the metal baseplate! Also there's something that should feed the needles to the dispenser plate. Can anyone help me out with more information? Thanks.
Bob B

ImageImageImage
Last edited by barnettrp21122 on Thu May 14, 2009 8:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

JohnM
Victor V

Re: Info needed regarding Capitol bakelite needle dispenser

Post by JohnM »

Bob,
I sent you a PM on how to post images using ImageShack.

John M
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Post by barnettrp21122 »

Thanks, John, for the picture posting advice. Could this same info be permanently posted somewhere?
I hope the pictures help.
Bob

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

This board, unlike any of the others (that I'm aware of), has the ability to post pictures without the use of a hosting site like imageshack.
Below the box that you write the text in, you'll find another box (Upload Attachment)which allows you to upload images directly to the board, and they are here to stay unless the person who posted them deletes them from his post.
All you do is click the "Browse" box, and your files come up in a separate box like on imageshack etc. Click the file you want to upload & the file name will appear in the box next to the Browse box here. Then simply "submit" your text as usual & your file (picture) will appear with your post.
This is the best & easiest board around to upload pictures to, and I think it was made posible by David's hard work.

That needle despenser is ULTRA-COOL!
I wish I could help out with the info you need, but I've never seen anything like it!
What are the approx demensions of the dispenser, and where does the needle actually pop out?
I guess it must be through the little silver circle in the third picture.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

I'm trying to work out how this thing works.
Obviously you push the button on the front downward, which pulls the spring loaded part I've marked "A" down the slot in the bakelite, but what does the red wall do that I've marked "B" do, or is it stationary & simply there to stop needles falling into the mechanism?
After pushing the front button down, the spring pushes the button back up, and that I'd imagine is when the needle would be pushed out the hole.
The only way I can see it working would be if the needles fell into a slot in a tube when you pushed the button down, and some sort of piston pushed the needles up the tube as the button returned to it's original position.??
Attachments
Capitol dispenser.jpg
Capitol dispenser.jpg (16.58 KiB) Viewed 1961 times

barnettrp21122
Victor IV

Post by barnettrp21122 »

Thanks, Shane, for your comments.
I've posted the following picture so you can get a clearer idea how this works: (at least it's how I think it should work)Image
You press down on the little knob in front, and the narrow top plate goes down, somehow gets a single steel needle, and comes back up with the needle sitting on top. This reminds me of the old cigarette boxes that did much the same thing.
The little hole on top is where you put spent needles. The little orange divider you see in the view from below just keeps them separated from the main compartment. There must be some insert missing, as there's no way the needles get fed to the dispensing plate. I thought at first maybe the plate was magnetized, but no it isn't.
Perhaps special boxes of needles were sold, and were just slid into the bottom?
Bob

Silvertone
Victor II

Post by Silvertone »

Your dispenser looks to be complete. I think the problem is that you are putting the new needles in the wrong end. The top comes off, and you will see a funnel-shaped bin that holds the new needles. The needles will never be in the lower portion of the dispenser over the hole.

barnettrp21122
Victor IV

Post by barnettrp21122 »

Silvertone wrote:Your dispenser looks to be complete. I think the problem is that you are putting the new needles in the wrong end. The top comes off, and you will see a funnel-shaped bin that holds the new needles. The needles will never be in the lower portion of the dispenser over the hole.
Thanks for the response. The funnel-shaped bin is what I guess is missing. There's nothing inside but the view of the mechanism, the metal plate, and air! Does anyone have a working example to post, perhaps together and in pieces? Thanks again.
Bob

Silvertone
Victor II

Post by Silvertone »

barnettrp21122 wrote:The funnel-shaped bin is what I guess is missing. There's nothing inside but the view of the mechanism, the metal plate, and air! Does anyone have a working example to post, perhaps together and in pieces? Thanks again.
Bob
I can see it in your picture. The bin is not a separate piece - it is moulded to the case and does not come out. Just remove the top and pour some needles in. It should work.

barnettrp21122
Victor IV

Post by barnettrp21122 »

Silvertone wrote:
barnettrp21122 wrote:The funnel-shaped bin is what I guess is missing. There's nothing inside but the view of the mechanism, the metal plate, and air! Does anyone have a working example to post, perhaps together and in pieces? Thanks again.
Bob
I can see it in your picture. The bin is not a separate piece - it is moulded to the case and does not come out. Just remove the top and pour some needles in. It should work.
Well, whaddaya know! I didn't know the top comes off! Thanks for persisting with your original advice! Now I can enjoy this. It IS cool!

THANK YOU! :D

Bob Barnett