Any idea who might have made this?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
OrthoFan
Victor V

Any idea who might have made this?

Post by OrthoFan »

Phonograph/Victrola cabinet:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/clt/1167474172.html

(Odd that the back of the cabinet is decorated, while the two front doors are plain.)

Refinished, I think it would look very nice with a Vic IV or Vic VI sitting on it.

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Re: Any idea who might have made this?

Post by MordEth »

Ortho_Fan wrote:(Odd that the back of the cabinet is decorated, while the two front doors are plain.)
That’s an interesting point. I cannot say that I’ve seen another cabinet like this.

— MordEth

[hr][/hr]

20’s Wooden Victrola Cabinet - $75 (Oakland Lake Merritt / Grand)

Reply to: sale-2cgaa-1167474172@craigslist.org
Date: 2009-05-12, 12:29PM PDT

Carved wooden Victrola cabinet. Door has inset cupped recesses, probably for needles. 24" W, 35" H, 18" D. Steel wheels on bottom. Top is stained but can be refinished.
  • It’s NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests.

Image Image
Image Image

Craigslist PostingID: 1167474172
Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

JohnM
Victor V

Re: Any idea who might have made this?

Post by JohnM »

Judging from the rectangular shape of the top, I would imagine that this is for a Victrola, not for an external horn machine. It is likely one of the early side-loading cabinets -- the doors and the decorative panel are actually the sides of the cabinet and either of the narrow ends is the front. The decorated 'back' would actually be visible. I would love to have that for my Vic XII! The price is certainly right. In 42 years in the hobby, I've never seen one exactly like it. Someone please buy it and haul it to Union for me!

John M
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan