How do those "Meet with Machines work at Union"

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
larryh
Victor IV

How do those "Meet with Machines work at Union"

Post by larryh »

Recently I had some conversations off the board about a machine I was considering to sell. It slipped past me that purchaser was only able to make a deal at Union. I have wondered how that works? I have only been there twice in my life and I recall seeing people unloading machines on the lot. Is that how you get one too someone. The owners let you just swap out on the lot? Or do people meet somewhere else to do it? I wasn't sure my health was going to allow for that trip which although not near the length of many is still usually six or more hours and then you have to spend the night, or at least anymore I would have too. Then if you don't have a van your really pushing luck if it should happen to storm. I spent one very cold and rainy day at Union freezing in mid june, not fun. It wouldn't be fun to have several nice machines in a pick up truck getting rained on. I live about six hours south of there and due east of St. Louis, I guess I should have considered seeing if anyone coming near this way going north might have been interested in a few things?

3victrolas
Victor O

Re: How do those "Meet with Machines work at Union"

Post by 3victrolas »

larryh wrote: The owners let you just swap out on the lot? Or do people meet somewhere else to do it?
I've always been under the impression that the owners don't like swapping in the parking lot. There are people who have things for sale out there, but they are vendors who have paid to do so, at least that is what I've been told.

If I was bringing a machine up there I'd bring it to the picnic on Thursday & deliver it there. It's a nice event where you can meet other collectors & also a place for people to sell & trade. Here's the link:

http://home.comcast.net/~messiahluthera ... undraiser/

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

Thanks, now that you mention it I think I have seen reference to people going to that event while there. I didn't have a feeling that selling on the grounds of the show without paying extra to do so would be condoned most likely. Well for your 40.00 you ought to get something though! I guess at that picnic people bring things to sell even if they aren't spoken for already?

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

A lot of people meet and work out deals at their hotels. The Donleys certainly don't want unpaid vendors showing up and setting up in the parking lot. This is why they banned the Wednesday and Thursday arrivals where people would show up, sell and disappear without paying a dealer fee.

If all you have is one or 2 machines, I doubt they would notice with all the buyers loading stuff they've bought at the show.
Best regards ... AZ*