Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: A and B 250 Database Project

Post by fran604g »

Hi folks,

The following question has been added to the survey:

11a) Is there decorative pin striping applied to the corners of the motor-plate? “Yes” or “No”.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

1) Model designation on the data plate? "A250".

2) What is the serial number on the data plate? "SM - 4719"

3) What is the number stamped into the top of the motor-plate beneath the turntable? Example: 4719-A1

4) While you have the turntable removed, how many oil “ports” are present on the top of the motor-plate - 2

5) Looking at the underside of the motor-plate (if you are able to) how many oil “tubes” are present- 4

6) What is the “Date” on the paper label stuck to the inside of the cabinet rear inspection door - no date on label

7) What is the stamped number on the “1st Horn Joint” located directly below the motor mechanism - 4087

8) What is the stamped number on the “2nd Horn Joint” just before the horn flairs out? - Didn't find.

9) Is there a number conspicuously stamped into the cabinet on the bottom of the horn compartment? If there is; what is the number, and is it in the “Front” or “Rear” of the horn compartment - 155 rear

10) What color is the motor-plate finish? “Chocolate-Brown”

10a) Is there a "Tone control or Mute Ball" present, - No

11) What color is the pin striping on the perimeter of the motor-plate? -“Gold”

12) Is the operating lever (lowers the reproducer for play) mounted to the - Cabinet”

13) Which type of start/stop lever configuration does your unit have?- “Type 2”

14) What is the cabinet wood type? = "Oak".

15) Are there “Tone Slots” cut into in the sides of the cabinet? - “No”.

16) Is the horn painted in “Mahogany Wood Grain”
17) What type of record storage system does yours have;- “17-A”

18) Is there an “Official Laboratory Medallion” mounted to the turntable trim piece? If there is, please describe it in detail. I posted a photo a while back.

19) Is there “grille cloth” present? If there is; what color is it, and please provide a brief description of the material. Made my own grill and bought fake silk cloth at crafts store.

20) Are there any dealer tag(s) or decal(s) present? If “Yes”, then please submit name, address, etc. and the location it is found on the cabinet. See Posted Photo

21) What is the "Cabinet Factory No." (if any)? This can usually be found on a sticker inside of the horn compartment of the cabinet. none

Please provide the “Form No.” and any other notable numbers if present. None

22) Does your cabinet have a conspicuous “Lip” around the inside top perimeter of your turntable compartment? -“Lip”

23) How tall is your Phonograph, measuring from the bottom of the right front foot up along the cabinet corner frame piece - 44 ½ inches

24) Are there any sales receipts, shipping documentation, etc., original to the phonograph? Dated and serialized materials - None
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

Thank you! I think I recall your A250 as a particularly interesting one. :)

I'll enter your data.

Best,
Fran
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

DGPros
Victor III
Personal Text: Gary

Post by DGPros »

Finally got around to filling this out.

1) Model designation on the data plate? "A250"

2) What is the serial number on the dataplate? "SM1593"

3) What is the number stamped into the top of the motor-plate beneath the turntable? Example: 1593-A1

4) While you have the turntable removed, how many oil “ports” are present on the top of the motor-plate? 2 right top and bottom left

5) Looking at the underside of the motor-plate (if you are able to) how many oil “tubes” are present? 4 off front and I believe 1 on back

6) What is the “Date” on the paper label stuck to the inside of the cabinet rear inspection door? to torn

7) What is the stamped number on the “1st Horn Joint” located directly below the motor mechanism? can't find at this time

8) What is the stamped number on the “2nd Horn Joint” just before the horn flairs out? 1920

9) Is there a number conspicuously stamped into the cabinet on the bottom of the horn compartment? rear 1593

10) What color is the motor-plate finish? “Chocolate-Brown”

10a) Is there a "Tone control or Mute Ball" present, No

11) What color is the pin striping on the perimeter of the motor-plate? “Gold”

11a) Is there decorative pin striping applied to the corners of the motor-plate? “Yes”

12) Is the operating lever (lowers the reproducer for play) mounted to the “Cabinet”

13) Which type of start/stop lever configuration does your unit have? “Type 1”

14) What is the cabinet wood type? "Mahogany"

15) Are there “Tone Slots” cut into in the sides of the cabinet? “Yes”

16) Is the horn painted in “Mahogany Wood Grain”

17) What type of record storage system does yours have; “17-A”

18) Is there an “Official Laboratory Medallion” mounted to the turntable trim piece? No

19) Is there “grille cloth” present? If there is; what color is it, and please provide a brief description of the material. None

20) Are there any dealer tag(s) or decal(s) present? No

21) What is the "Cabinet Factory No." (if any)? This can usually be found on a sticker inside of the horn compartment of the cabinet. Please provide the “Form No.” and any other notable numbers if present. 237 stenciled behind top drawer

22) Does your cabinet have a conspicuous “Lip” around the inside top perimeter of your turntable compartment? “Lip”

23) How tall is your Phonograph, measuring from the bottom of the right front foot up along the cabinet corner frame piece (do not include the caster if one is present, please) turntable compartment corner? 44 ½
24) Are there any sales receipts, shipping documentation, etc., original to the phonograph? Dated and serialized materials are particularly noteworthy.DD reproducer #8887
In short, is not liberty the freedom of every person to make full use of his faculties, so long as he does not harm other persons while doing so?
Frederic Bastiat

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

Thank you very much for your contribution to the project! :)

Best,
Fran

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

Hiya folks,

I'm refreshing this topic for anyone whom may have missed the original posting. Please take the time to contribute, the results should be very interesting and help provide a plethora of information on the A and B 250 previously not widely known.

Here's the link back to page one with the questionnaire and related reference photos. http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... 97#p136197

Thank you,
Fran

perkey33
Victor Jr

Post by perkey33 »

Hello,
I just acquired this A-250 from a local family a week ago. It is a bit rough, but I really wanted an A-250.

1) Model designation on the data plate? "A250".

2) What is the serial number on the dataplate? "SM - 8816"

3) What is the number stamped into the top of the motor-plate beneath the turntable? 8816-A1.

4) While you have the turntable removed, how many oil “ports” are present on the top of the motor-plate? 2 with covers plus 4 more.

5) Looking at the underside of the motor-plate (if you are able to) how many oil “tubes” are present? 9. One port with cover has 2 and two of the four under the turntable have 2.

6) What is the “Date” on the paper label stuck to the inside of the cabinet rear inspection door. Form 632 4-3-14.

7) What is the stamped number on the “1st Horn Joint” located directly below the motor mechanism? 9051.

8) What is the stamped number on the “2nd Horn Joint” just before the horn flairs out? None.

9) Is there a number conspicuously stamped into the cabinet on the bottom of the horn compartment? 8816 is stamped on the 'back door' rim and a 'P' is stamped on the bottom of the horn compartment.

10) What color is the motor-plate finish? “Black.”
10A) Is there a "Tone control or Mute Ball" present. Pull Knob and Cable

11) What color is the pin striping on the perimeter of the motor-plate? “Gold” with corner decorations.

12) Is the operating lever (lowers the reproducer for play) mounted to the “Cabinet” or is it mounted through the “Motor Plate". Cabinet.

13) Which type of start/stop lever configuration does your unit have? “Type 1.”

14) What is the cabinet wood type? Mahogany.

15) Are there “Tone Slots” cut into in the sides of the cabinet? No.

16) Is the horn painted in “Mahogany Wood Grain”, “Oak Wood Grain”, or “Black”? Mahogany Wood Grain.

17) What type of record storage system does yours have; “17-C.”

18) Is there an “Official Laboratory Medallion” mounted to the turntable trim piece? No.

19) Is there “grille cloth” present? If there is; what color is it, and please provide a brief description of the material. No
20) Are there any dealer tag(s) or decal(s) present? No.

21) What is the "Cabinet Factory No." (if any)? Cabinet Factory No.2.

22) Does your cabinet have a conspicuous “Lip” around the inside top perimeter of your turntable compartment? “Yes”.

23) How tall is your Phonograph, measuring from the bottom of the right front foot up along the cabinet corner frame piece (do not include the caster if one is present, please) turntable compartment corner? 44.5"

24) Are there any sales receipts, shipping documentation, etc., original to the phonograph? No sales or shipping but several tags attached to the inside of the cabinet and inside an Edison reproducer box. Sophia M. Heisser 315 West Market Street Celina, Ohio U.S.A.

There is also a number stamped to the bottom of the motor-plate 25028 and the serial number is hand written on the bottom of the turntable.

Hope this helps.

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

Thank you for taking the time, I'll add your A 250 to my database.

Have a great Holiday Season,
Fran

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

Hiya folks, just a reminder that I'm still compiling info here in this survey. (I seem to have lost the "bump" feature?) :?

Best,
Fran

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Fran,

This is info for my oddball Diamond-Disc-in-an-Amberola cabinet machine. Because it has what appears to be a B250 motor, I'm answering your questions, but of course this is very much an anomaly. It has the slide collar governor typically found on the B250, but only 1 spring. It also has a mix of nickel and gold plated parts.

Pics and more details here, as you know:
http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=27117

Hope this helps.

Kevin

1) Model designation on the data plate? No model indicated

2) What is the serial number on the dataplate? "X122"

3) What is the number stamped into the top of the motor-plate beneath the turntable? Example: None

4) While you have the turntable removed, how many oil “ports” are present on the top of the motor-plate? One round cup with 4 holes, 1 hole in bedplate, plus indication to oil turntable spindle

5) Looking at the underside of the motor-plate (if you are able to) how many oil “tubes” are present? Two sets for 4 tubes

6) What is the “Date” on the paper label stuck to the inside of the cabinet rear inspection door? No sticker.

7) What is the stamped number on the “1st Horn Joint” located directly below the motor mechanism? No number

8) What is the stamped number on the “2nd Horn Joint” just before the horn flairs out? (This one may be difficult to locate without disassembly, so please don't go out of your way for this one). No number

9) Is there a number conspicuously stamped into the cabinet on the bottom of the horn compartment? If there is; what is the number, and is it in the “Front” or “Rear” of the horn compartment? No number there; "275" is stamped below the lid hinge on both the cabinet and lid.

10) What color is the motor-plate finish? “Reddish-Maroon”, “Chocolate-Brown” or “Black”. (Shown in pictures below) Black

10a) Is there a "Tone control or Mute Ball" present, "Yes or No"; if yes, then which type? "Reproducer with Felt Damper", "Pull Knob and Cable", "Pivoting Lever and Cable", or "Slider Control and Cable" Not present, nor any hardware to support.

11) What color is the pin striping on the perimeter of the motor-plate? “Gold” or “Gold and Blue”. Gold

11a) Is there decorative pin striping applied to the corners of the motor-plate? “Yes” or “No”. No

12) Is the operating lever (lowers the reproducer for play) mounted to the “Cabinet” or is it mounted through the “Motor-plate” (Shown in pictures below) Motor plate

13) Which type of start/stop lever configuration does your unit have? “Type 1”, “Type 2”, or “Type 3”? (Shown in pictures below) Type 3

14) What is the cabinet wood type? "Mahogany", or "Oak". Oak cabinet made to house an Amberola 1 (A or B)

15) Are there “Tone Slots” cut into in the sides of the cabinet? “Yes” or “No”. Yes, 3 on each side (Pooley cabinet)

16) Is the horn painted in “Mahogany Wood Grain”, “Oak Wood Grain”, or “Black”? Black

17) What type of record storage system does yours have; “17-A”, “17-B”, “17-C”, “17-D”, “17-E, 17-F”? (See images below) None of these; 4 drawers, all drilled for cylinder box clips that were never installed.

18) Is there an “Official Laboratory Medallion” mounted to the turntable trim piece? If there is, please describe it in detail. No; there is no trim piece, and there is no support for one.

19) Is there “grille cloth” present? If there is; what color is it, and please provide a brief description of the material. Grill cloth is not original.

20) Are there any dealer tag(s) or decal(s) present? If “Yes”, then please submit name, address, etc. and the location it is found on the cabinet. None

21) What is the "Cabinet Factory No." (if any)? This can usually be found on a sticker inside of the horn compartment of the cabinet. Please provide the “Form No.” and any other notable numbers if present. None

22) Does your cabinet have a conspicuous “Lip” around the inside top perimeter of your turntable compartment? “Lip” or “No Lip”. None; there is a trim piece at the front that would have held a motor mount for an Amberola 1 mechanism.

23) How tall is your Phonograph, measuring from the bottom of the right front foot up along the cabinet corner frame piece (do not include the caster if one is present, please) turntable compartment corner? (As shown “Image 1” and “Image 2” below) Roughly 48"

24) Are there any sales receipts, shipping documentation, etc., original to the phonograph? Dated and serialized materials are particularly noteworthy. None