A and B 250 Database Project

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: A and B 250 Database Project

Post by fran604g »

Gary, the horn is absolutely gorgeous! Wow!

The cabinet looks beautiful, too, but that horn!

A slider, connected to a rod, and then to a cable -- for the mute ball control? I wonder if this was typical?

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

I forgot to thank you for such marvelous photographs! It seems rare to get such detail.

Thank you very much,
Fran
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

DGPros
Victor III
Personal Text: Gary

Post by DGPros »

fran604g wrote:Gary, the horn is absolutely gorgeous! Wow!

Best,
Fran
That was my reaction when I saw it. :o The bottom of the horn looked mangy, but wiped right off. Check out the back. My other A-250 had chipped paint and I was expecting the same on this one. As soon as I saw it in person I knew she was coming home with me. :arrow: I can't wait to get the motor back together and get her running again.
Attachments
2017-01-13 20.56.06.jpg
2017-01-13 20.55.52.jpg
2017-01-13 20.55.45.jpg
In short, is not liberty the freedom of every person to make full use of his faculties, so long as he does not harm other persons while doing so?
Frederic Bastiat

DGPros
Victor III

Post by DGPros »

fran604g wrote:
DGPros wrote:Any idea how many machines on in this study :?:
Congratulations on another acquisition, and thank you for your data, Gary!

The dealer plate is really interesting, in that it's the first one I've seen on a Diamond Disc machine that included "Photograph" in the title. Very Cool! And the record duster sounds exciting. The "LG" "cartouche" must be the cabinet manufacturer's inspector's mark, I assume.

It seems that you found a very nice A 250. I'm more than a little jealous, as I don't own an A 250, but would love to at some point.

Your latest entry puts the count of A 250s that I've observed and recorded at 45 units; 9 of which I could not ascertain the serial numbers, but included any features I could discern.

The range of A 250 serial numbers in my spreadsheet runs from #161 to #14,444.

Incidentally, I have also recorded only 12 B 250s, whose serial numbers run from #457 through #4052.

I hope I have the opportunity to record many more of each.

Best,
Fran
Thank You for this info too :!:
In short, is not liberty the freedom of every person to make full use of his faculties, so long as he does not harm other persons while doing so?
Frederic Bastiat

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

fran604g wrote:Gary, the horn is absolutely gorgeous! Wow!

A slider, connected to a rod, and then to a cable -- for the mute ball control? I wonder if this was typical?

Best,
Fran
What strikes me as odd is that the horn support tube shows no evidence of a clamp having been attached for a mute arm.

The earliest mutes were operated by a vertical rod: later, the rod and slider were moved to a horizontal position, and attached to the bedplate. Both versions, as far as I know, used the flexible cable and arm.

Bill

DGPros
Victor III

Post by DGPros »

If you look close, there is a little paint chipping on the lower end of the rod due to the mute ball clamp. And yes, this is the early version mute ball with painted slider arm screwed in vertically.(I'm guessing put on at the factory and not an after market add on)
Frederic Bastiat

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

Lucius1958 wrote:The earliest mutes were operated by a vertical rod: later, the rod and slider were moved to a horizontal position, and attached to the bedplate. Both versions, as far as I know, used the flexible cable and arm.

Bill
Thank you, Bill, for your explanation. I haven't seen a close up photo of the first type mute mechanism. I wonder if someone here might have such an image?

Best,
Fran

DGPros
Victor III

Post by DGPros »

fran604g wrote:
Lucius1958 wrote:The earliest mutes were operated by a vertical rod: later, the rod and slider were moved to a horizontal position, and attached to the bedplate. Both versions, as far as I know, used the flexible cable and arm.

Bill
Thank you, Bill, for your explanation. I haven't seen a close up photo of the first type mute mechanism. I wonder if someone here might have such an image?

Best,
Fran
Here are 2 for now. I will try to get you some more when I have more time. You will see it connected to the front right side. There is a notch on the inner wood piece where the handle fits through. Basically a flat rod with a turn at the top. You can see it at a 45 angle front right.
Attachments
20170115_142700.jpg
20170115_111909.jpg
Frederic Bastiat

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

fran604g wrote:

Bill

Best,
Fran
I think what Lucius describes is actually the second type. I believe this is the first type. turn the brass knob clockwise to mute, counter clockwise to unmute. No flexible cable, only bent metal rods hooked together.
Attachments
IMG_0363.JPG
IMG_0362.JPG
IMG_0357.JPG

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

Valecnik wrote:
fran604g wrote:

Bill

Best,
Fran
I think what Lucius describes is actually the second type. I believe this is the first type. turn the brass knob clockwise to mute, counter clockwise to unmute. No flexible cable, only bent metal rods hooked together.
I was hoping you'd chime in, Bruce. Thank you!

Best,
Fran